Monday, September 16, 2024 — Houston, TX

Venue change first step in reviving Esperanza

By Staff Editorial     9/25/08 7:00pm

Last week, the Thresher wrote a staff editorial encouraging Rice Program Council to increase its visibility and relevance in light of its massive budget increase for the 2008-'09 school year ("With great budget comes great responsibility," Sept. 19). This week, we are reporting on Esperanza, which will be held Saturday, Nov. 8, at the end of homecoming week (see story, page 1).RPC revealed this week that Esperanza will be held on campus in an outdoor tent between the Shepherd School of Music, Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Management and the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy, but more than just an average tent, this particular locale will boast walls, a hardwood floor, bathrooms and ice sculptures.

We feel this is a major step for RPC in adopting a more student-friendly approach. Unlike the venues chosen in previous years, an on-campus location nullifies any transportation problems and should vastly improve attendance. Instead of being an event only for those who plan well in advance, this year's dance will even be an attractive option for those thinking of going at the last minute, provided RPC sells tickets at the door.

Also, RPC made a good choice in avoiding a higher-cost off-campus venue. Now, more money can be put towards decorations and music, and perhaps even towards ticket subsidies. There is no reason the dance cannot be as classy or elegant as it would be in any other place.

In short, we think RPC has pursued a worthy new approach to Esperanza. Better attendance, better location, better ambiance - we hope it all adds up to a better dance.

Remembering Andrea Rodriguez Avila

On a spring night, Andrea Rodriguez Avila was wrapping up her Peer Academic Advisor training. Her close friend, Karen Martinez, wanted boba tea; it was nearing the end of the semester, and everything was "messy and unorganized," she said. The two went to The Tea Nook on campus — Andrea had never been. "We talked the whole way there," Martinez said, and all through their wait in the line.