Wednesday, September 18, 2024 — Houston, TX

Man on the Street: Thoughts on Obama and more

1. Obama has been referred to by national newspapers as the first "global president." What does this term mean to you, and how should it factor into his presidency?2. What do you think about Obama's ability to bring the United States out of economic recession?

3. What do you think about the international issues like terrorism and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that Obama will have to deal with one in office?

4. What did you think about the election in general, from the candidates' campaigns a year ago, the growing intensity of the campaigns, the election itself and its results?

Erin Waller | Wiess 2010

1. I think it's great that we improved our standing in the world, but we need to remember that we're electing an American president, and not a global one. Our first priority in a president is one who will serve America's interests best.

2. I don't think it's an easy job for either candidate and it's a really tough situation. Obama can bring with him a sense of hope and we'll see if it's his policies that inspire hope or what he claims he'll be able to do.

4. [The election] was so long, so divisive, drawn-out and politicized. People talked more about Sarah Palin than the issues, though I was really excited about her at first.

Will Randall | Hanszen 2011

3. He's got a lot to prove. His newness to the federal government and global issues are scarce. I think he realizes that troops are needed to stabilize the [Middle East] and that he will have to move from his strict timeline ... I'm confident that he will surround himself with intelligent people and you could see that in his campaign.

4. Overall, Obama had a really impressive campaign. Obama fought a cleaner fight I would say but the person doing worse in the polls tends to be more accusatory and Obama was calm and cool through the election and he is a great speaker.

Annie Xu | Martel 2012

1. Just because he grew up in Indonesia, doesn't mean he's a global leader. It [the label he's been given] shouldn't influence his policies when he becomes president.

2. I think he's a bit too young to lead the state.

3. I have no idea.

4. The campaigns were more targeted to attack each other's character instead of their policies.

Darren Arquero | Wiess 2011

2. I think he will have a lot of power [on the economy] but it comes down to who he chooses for his cabinet. People are optimistic and expect things to happen really fast.

3. I think he's going to upset people if he focuses too much on that issue. As far international issues go, if his policies are more globally oriented but lack focus on domestic issues, it will cause a lot of problems.

4. I was expecting it [Obama's win] but when it happened it hit home for me. Obama's campaign was pretty well-organized as far as getting the youth vote. At headquarters downtown at Monstrose, 30 to 40 kids volunteered there and that helped get the vote going on campus.

Klara Wojtkowka | Brown 2009

1. It is important to see Obama as a symbol for the rest of the world. By electing him America has said, "We're taking opinions of world into consideration." It's a global gesture and I think the rest of the world will be more likely to help us and talk with him.

4. It was really intense. Obama got people motivated and hopeful that he can change things. McCain's choice of Palin confused and scared me. She had charisma and and people said she could learn quickly once on the job. Is the vice-presidency an internship? I saw her as a woman representing women in all the ways women shouldn't be represented: not open to change, against any kind of abortion, and not open to debate.

Renuke Rege | Brown 2012

2. That's definitely one of the problems he faces. I don't know what he'll do but I'm afraid he won't meet people's expectations and lose popularity at the end of his term unless he comes up with a miracle.

3. He's promised pulling out of Iraq and I don't know if it'll happen as completely or totally as he says it will. He says he'll focus on Afghanistan more and I think that it's important because we've ignored it in the past.

4. It's really really intense. There was a lot of hype and I didn't like the negative stuff that happened: attacking Obama's religion and projecting McCain's death in office and I'm glad we have results to end the suspense.

Zach Marshall | Martel 2009

1. Hopefully he's our president first. He can forge new working relationships, but hopefully he has American interests close at heart and then

the world's.

3. I think he has the ability to reach across the aisle [of partisanship] and put forth well-rounded solutions. I'm looking forward to seeing what he's going to do.

4. I'm excited that everyone is enthusiastic about the election. I'm glad to see support for the candidates and the issues. I'm also glad our age demographic went out and voted. Our government is only as powerful as we make it.

Lovett to permanently move into new building by fall 2026, adjacent to twelfth college

Lovett College will permanently move into one of the two new residential college buildings, President Reggie DesRoches said in a Sept. 18 email to campus. The buildings, initially intended to house new twelfth and thirteenth colleges, are projected to finish by fall 2026. Lovett will stand adjacent to the unnamed twelfth college, and there are currently no plans for the thirteenth.

Academic quad officially opens with celebration

The redesigned academic quad had its grand opening Sept. 12. The ceremony included speeches, a ribbon cutting and guided tours for attendees to learn about new quad features.  Speakers included President Reggie DesRoches, board of trustees chairman Robert T. Ladd, landscape architect Thomas Woltz and several alumni.