Saturday, September 14, 2024 — Houston, TX

This Week's Sports Notebook

Swim team downs UIW

The swim team beat the University of the Incarnate Word 189- 104 last Saturday in San Antonio, winning 12 out of the 14 races and taking at least first and second place in 11 events. Seniors Skylar Craig, Carlyann Miller, Natalie Kirchoff and Diane Gu started the Owls off on a good note, taking first place in the 200-yard medley relay in 1:51.97. Junior Megan Land, sophomores Kait Chura and Ashten Ackerman and freshman Alexandra Ernst grabbed second place. Ernst came back to win the 200-yard butterfly, followed by senior Caitlin Warner, Chura and sophomore Karen Gerken. Gu then won the 50-yard freestyle and teammates Craig and senior Jennifer Hill took second and third, respectively. Sophomore Erin Mattson and freshman Nicole Delaloye dominated the 200-yard freestyle, while Land and Hill took first and second in the 200-yard backstroke. Rice also had stellar performances in the 100-yard butterfly and 100-yard backstroke; Land took first in both events, finishing just ahead of Lin in the butterfly and Craig in the backstroke. The success continued as Lin won the 100-yard backstroke, junior Angela Wo won the 200- yard individual medley, freshman Alex O'Brien won the 200- yard breaststroke and Ackerman and freshman Shelby Bottoms snagged the top spots in the 500-yard freestyle.

The Owls finished the meet by winning the 200-yard freestyle relay - freshman Alison Godbe, Warner, Ackerman and Gu hit the wall at 1:40.19.

Assistant coach Jada Hallmark (Sid '01) said the meet was a welcome opportunity for the team to have fun with competition.

"[The meet] gave us a chance to swim some off-events, which was exciting, fun, [and] not very much pressure," Hallmark said. "[The team] did a great job. They still got up there and raced each other and the clock and competed."

- Tracy Dansker

Astros shortstop pleads guilty

Miguel Tejada pleaded guilty Wednesday in federal court to misleading Congress about steroid use. Tejada withheld information in August 2005 when questioned by a House committee about ex-Astro Roger Clemens' use of steroids and human growth hormone.

Tejada, the Houston Astros' shortstop, admitted to purchasing human growth hormone but said he discarded the drugs before using them. Prosecutors stated they have no evidence proving otherwise.

The misdemeanor can be punishable with up to a year in jail, but Tejada's attorney Mark Tuohey believes Tejada will only receive probation.

Investigation of Tejada started after an ex-Baltimore Oriole teammate of his, Rafael Palmeiro, attributed his positive steroid test to a faulty B-12 shot administered by the Astro.

- Natalie Clericuzio

Remembering Andrea Rodriguez Avila

On a spring night, Andrea Rodriguez Avila was wrapping up her Peer Academic Advisor training. Her close friend, Karen Martinez, wanted boba tea; it was nearing the end of the semester, and everything was "messy and unorganized," she said. The two went to The Tea Nook on campus — Andrea had never been. "We talked the whole way there," Martinez said, and all through their wait in the line.