Thursday, September 19, 2024 — Houston, TX

Owls unable to bounce back against Tigers, ending season in the Super Regional

By Meghan Hall     5/14/09 7:00pm

Though the Owls were able to stave off elimination three times in the Regional, they were not able to complete that task once in the Super Regional. Junior starter Ryan Berry (7-2) got the start for Rice (43-18) in this afternoon's win-or-go-home game against LSU (51-16), but in Game 2 of the 2009 NCAA Super Regional the Owls fell 5-3 to the Tigers.As the visiting team in this second game, the Tigers began early with second baseman DJ LeMahieu's double to the right field corner and two walks. Berry emerged from the first inning for the most part unscathed, but LSU picked up one after a fielders' choice off the bat of center fielder Mikie Mahtook.

"Going into the Super Regional I thought this team was as good as anyone in the country," Berry said. "I myself didn't do my job."

Junior second baseman Brock Holt responded with a leadoff hit of his own in the first, a stinger to right field. A hit batsman and a sacrifice bunt placed runners on the corners, but freshman Anthony Rendon watched three strikes go by and junior designated hitter Diego Seastrunk hit a dribbler to second.

"We competed well today but we fell a little short, that's all," Head Coach Wayne Graham said. "It was more that we weren't getting our pitches where we wanted to."

Owl fans got a scare in the second when Rendon and sophomore shortstop Rick Hague both chased a foul ball hit by first baseman Sean Ochinko. Over by the visitor bullpen, the two collided and Rendon went down. After testing his leg, Rendon was carried off the field by Mark Haynes and Andrew Benak. No other player had time at third base this season, but junior Jimmy Comerota moved over from first, where senior Jess Buenger entered the game and ended the second inning with a sparkling diving play.

The loss of Rendon-Freshman of the Year and team leader in average, homers and RBI-was not lost on his teammates. The specifics on his injury have not been released yet, but he was in the dugout on crutches and coach Graham speculated a possibly hurt or fractured ankle.

"That was tough," Holt said. "Rendon's been our best player the whole year; we've been counting on him for big hits."

Holt tied up the game in the third with a homer to right-center, his 12th of the year. After Hague just missed an over-the-shoulder catch, a double by right fielder Jared Mitchell gave LSU life in the fourth. He then scored the go-ahead run after a bobble by Holt on third baseman Derek Helenihi's single.

In the fourth, Seastrunk made it to third with a double plus an error; he then scored when sophomore left fielder Michael Fuda laid down a bunt single. The back-and-forth continued when designated hitter Blake Dean doubled in the fifth, the fourth of the game. After another fielders' choice and a wild pitch, LSU was up 4-2 and had a lead they would never relinquish.

Helenihi made the score 5-2 with a home run in the sixth, his fourth of the year. That and the subsequent hit batsman led to the exit of Berry, who was relieved by junior Jared Rogers (4-1). The Owls came back with a home run of their own, this one off the bat of Seastrunk, but it represented their final run of the night.

Though Berry was not as strong as he normally is and did not deliver the game-stopping performance Rice needed, Graham could find the positives and realize Berry's overall success.

"We wouldn't be where we are without him," coach Graham said. "He just didn't have a good day."

Berry finished with five runs over five innings and 112 pitches. Along with four walks and six strikeouts, he picked up the loss, only his second of the season and second within a week.

"At first it was me rushing to the plate but as the game wore on I slowed down everything," Berry said. "I can make all the excuses in the world, but I just couldn't get the job done . I tried hard, but that doesn't really win you ballgames when you can't produce."

Three stellar defensive plays got Rice out of the seventh without more damage. Mahtook doubled but was then thrown out in a close play at third on a fielders' choice by Mitchell, who was promptly caught stealing by catcher Craig Manuel. Hague made a sharp play up the middle to end the inning, but those were countered by LeMahieu's leaping grab to rob Holt in the bottom of the frame, his second such play in two days.

With the Owls looking for a rally, sophomore right fielder Chad Mozingo singled to open up the eighth. Three consecutive outs followed him, and Rice was left with only one inning to work with. Their difficulties were due in large part to LSU starter Louis Coleman (12-2), who threw eight innings with three earned runs. Still, the Owls were able to battle valiantly and had baserunners in every inning except for one.

Matty Ott came in for the Tigers in the ninth to close it out with the bottom of Rice's lineup. Junior center fielder Steven Sultzbaugh grounded out on the first pitch of the inning, and Manuel's fly ball died on the warning track. Freshman Ryan Lewis was hit by a pitch, so the last out-and therefore Rice's season-lay in the hands of Holt, who faced a rowdy crowd of 9,651, the most in LSU history.

"I've been seeing the ball well this whole weekend I thought . I was just lucky to connect on a few," Holt said of his hits today. "Everyone in the stadium wanted me to strike out [in the ninth inning] and I gave them their wish."

Though Rice's season will not end with a trip to Omaha, Graham spoke glowingly of his team's ability to overcome adversity and finish the season with two championships despite myriad injuries.

"I love this team," Graham said. "I love these guys for doing that and hanging in there.

Lovett to permanently move into new building by fall 2026, adjacent to twelfth college

Lovett College will permanently move into one of the two new residential college buildings, President Reggie DesRoches said in a Sept. 18 email to campus. The buildings, initially intended to house new twelfth and thirteenth colleges, are projected to finish by fall 2026. Lovett will stand adjacent to the unnamed twelfth college, and there are currently no plans for the thirteenth.

Academic quad officially opens with celebration

The redesigned academic quad had its grand opening Sept. 12. The ceremony included speeches, a ribbon cutting and guided tours for attendees to learn about new quad features.  Speakers included President Reggie DesRoches, board of trustees chairman Robert T. Ladd, landscape architect Thomas Woltz and several alumni.