Thursday, September 19, 2024 — Houston, TX

Rice wins third-straight game against the ropes to advance to Super Regionals

By Meghan Hall     5/14/09 7:00pm

It took five games in four days, but Rice clawed their way out of the losers' bracket to take the 2009 NCAA Houston Regional with a 13-4 win and advance to one of eight Super Regionals, against LSU in Baton Rouge, La. The path the team had to take increased the gratification at the end."It's even better when you come out of the losers' bracket," Head Coach Wayne Graham said. "It speaks to the character of the team . I think this team likes each other so well they wanted to keep playing."

No. 1 seed Rice (43-16) was playing No. 2 seed Kansas State University (43-18-1) for the third day in a row in the Owls' third elimination game in a row and the Owls jumped on base early with hot bats. Five Owls collected at least three hits for 20 overall.

RBIs in the first inning came off the bats of sophomore shortstop Rick Hague and sophomore left fielder Michael Fuda for a quick 2-0 lead. KSU cut that in half almost immediately when the first batter in the second, third baseman Jason King, hit one over the right field fence.

That run came off Rice junior starter Mark Haynes (2-0). He gave up another in the second after two consecutive hit batters on a fielder's choice in which Haynes failed to cover first. He was then pulled in favor of freshman Matthew Reckling (2-2).

Reckling's clutch performance ended up earning the win with his four innings of work.

"I knew the team needed me," Reckling said. "I just tried to pound the fastball . and let that incredible defense work."

Rice started off the fourth by manufacturing a run with a single, a walk and senior first baseman Jimmy Comerota's bunt single. There was an error on the same play which allowed Fuda to score the tie-breaking run.

Back-to-back singles through the hole by junior second baseman Brock Holt and Hague brought in two more, but the big hit of the inning belonged to junior catcher Diego Seastrunk when he launched one over the right field fence for an 8-2 lead.

Rice poked two more in the fifth thanks to singles by Comerota and senior Jess Buenger, which were countered by two Wildcat runs in the seventh.

Hague, Comerota and freshman right fielder Ryan Lewis collected Rice's last runs of the night in the eighth, prompting numerous substitutions with the majority of KSU's starters leaving. The seniors collected at the mound and shared a round of hugs and handshakes before leaving the field to a large ovation.

"It was something," catcher Rob Vaughn said. "For them to stand up and give us a standing ovation as we ran off the field . it's something I'll never forget."

Rice pitcher Ryan Berry (7-1) came in closed out the last two innings of the game and preserved Rice's victory, much to the relief of his team.

"We knew that if we got to the seventh inning we could win because Mr. Berry was chomping at the bit," Graham said. "I think there was a comfort zone for the whole team with him out there."

Six Rice players in total were named to the All-Regional Team, and freshman Taylor Wall was named the Most Outstanding Player. The team will head to Baton Rouge for a best-of-three series this weekend for a spot in the College World Series.

"Omaha's what it's about for us," Comerota said. "I think we're all seeking the challenge.

Lovett to permanently move into new building by fall 2026, adjacent to twelfth college

Lovett College will permanently move into one of the two new residential college buildings, President Reggie DesRoches said in a Sept. 18 email to campus. The buildings, initially intended to house new twelfth and thirteenth colleges, are projected to finish by fall 2026. Lovett will stand adjacent to the unnamed twelfth college, and there are currently no plans for the thirteenth.

Academic quad officially opens with celebration

The redesigned academic quad had its grand opening Sept. 12. The ceremony included speeches, a ribbon cutting and guided tours for attendees to learn about new quad features.  Speakers included President Reggie DesRoches, board of trustees chairman Robert T. Ladd, landscape architect Thomas Woltz and several alumni.