Thursday, September 19, 2024 — Houston, TX

Tuesday Sports Update : Fazio gets Rice win over Sam Houston State

By Meghan Hall     2/25/10 6:00pm

With eight wins in its last nine games, the baseball team is on a roll. Tonight marked the start of a six-game homestand, and the Owls (8-5) kicked it off with a bang, quickly disposing of Sam Houston State University 8-1. Rice was efficient both in time and in scoring, besting the Bearkats (3-10) with nine hits and eight runs in just over two hours.Redshirt freshman Anthony Fazio (1-1) got the ball for ninth-ranked Rice for his second start of the year and picked up his first career win. Entering tonight's game, Fazio had previously forfeited five earned runs over 0.2 innings in three appearances, including a shaky first start against Lamar University Feb. 24.

But tonight Fazio put the pieces together and gave up only one run and three hits over 5.2 innings with four strikeouts.

Head Coach Wayne Graham attributes his quick turnaround partly to the simple passage of time.

"I think he just settled down a little bit," Graham said. "We did some work on the side with him, got his breaking ball back and his mechanics a little better. He's got a good arm. It's hard to come back after not pitching for a long time and do well.You've got to get accommodated again."

The support of a strong defense, particularly on the right side of the infield, surely helped with Fazio's accommodation factor. Freshman second baseman Michael Ratterree and senior first baseman Jimmy Comerota teamed up several times and saved would-be hits with their swift glove work.

On the offensive side of the ball, Rice broke open the scoring in the second and never looked back. The Owls picked up five runs in that frame, thanks to back-to-back doubles by sophomore catcher Craig Manuel and senior center fielder Steven Sultzbaugh. Ratterree also contributed offensively with an RBI single of his own.

Then in the fifth, two extra-base hits led to two more runs for the home team. Junior right fielder Chad Mozingo doubled, and junior shortstop Rick Hague hit one over the fence in right-center to become the fifth Owl with at least two home runs this season.

Rice continues its homestand with a four-game series against California. First pitch is slated for Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

Lovett to permanently move into new building by fall 2026, adjacent to twelfth college

Lovett College will permanently move into one of the two new residential college buildings, President Reggie DesRoches said in a Sept. 18 email to campus. The buildings, initially intended to house new twelfth and thirteenth colleges, are projected to finish by fall 2026. Lovett will stand adjacent to the unnamed twelfth college, and there are currently no plans for the thirteenth.

Academic quad officially opens with celebration

The redesigned academic quad had its grand opening Sept. 12. The ceremony included speeches, a ribbon cutting and guided tours for attendees to learn about new quad features.  Speakers included President Reggie DesRoches, board of trustees chairman Robert T. Ladd, landscape architect Thomas Woltz and several alumni.