Thursday, September 19, 2024 — Houston, TX

Saturday Sports Update : 12-run sixth inning aids Owls to 26-11 victory over Cal

By Meghan Hall     3/11/10 6:00pm

Rice entered this four-game series against California with eight wins in its last nine games. But with two straight losses and a 7-2 deficient in the sixth inning of this afternoon's game, Rice appeared to be on the downswing. However, the Owls found their offensive firepower and bested the Golden Bears (9-4) 26-11 in a game that involved 37 total runs and 41 hits.Junior Tony Cingrani (1-0) picked up the start for the Owls (9-7) today and surrendered five earned runs in 2.2 innings of work. He was relieved by freshman Tyler Duffey (2-0), who was effective over his 4.1 innings and notched the win.

Rice picked up two quick runs in the bottom of the first off the bat of freshman designated hitter Chase McDowell and his RBI single. Two isolated singles marked the extent of the Owls' offense over the next four innings and combined with ineffective pitching, Rice was in a 7-2 hole entering the sixth.

In a half inning that lasted 45 minutes, Cal ran through four pitchers while Rice sent 18 batters to the plate and scored 12 runs. Senior first baseman Jimmy Comerata started the fireworks and collected the team's first extra-base hit with his one-out triple. Junior shortshop Rick Hague and freshman second baseman Michael Ratterree also came through with separate two-run doubles.

The offense didn't stop in the seventh, either, with three consecutive RBI singles and a three-run home run for sophomore third baseman Anthony Rendon. Rendon came up again in the eighth and bested even himself, homering to left center with the bases loaded for his team-leading sixth of the year.

Hague and right fielder Michael Fuda led the team with four hits each, while Comerota and senior center fielder Steven Sultzbaugh had three. Rendon contributed eight RBI, and each starter chipped in at least one hit. Junior Matt Evers pitched the later innings for the Owls, giving up three earned runs over two innings.

Rice will look to split the series with Cal in their fourth game tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Reckling Park.

Lovett to permanently move into new building by fall 2026, adjacent to twelfth college

Lovett College will permanently move into one of the two new residential college buildings, President Reggie DesRoches said in a Sept. 18 email to campus. The buildings, initially intended to house new twelfth and thirteenth colleges, are projected to finish by fall 2026. Lovett will stand adjacent to the unnamed twelfth college, and there are currently no plans for the thirteenth.

Academic quad officially opens with celebration

The redesigned academic quad had its grand opening Sept. 12. The ceremony included speeches, a ribbon cutting and guided tours for attendees to learn about new quad features.  Speakers included President Reggie DesRoches, board of trustees chairman Robert T. Ladd, landscape architect Thomas Woltz and several alumni.