Wednesday, September 18, 2024 — Houston, TX

Friday's Sports Update:Thundering Herd trampled by Owls

By Meghan Hall     5/16/10 7:00pm

Though statistically Rice toned down its offense Friday afternoon, the runs came early and often enough to best Marshall University 18-0 in the team's third game of the Conference USA Championship. The win today propels Rice into the championship game Saturday night. The Owls (38-20, 17-7 C-USA) matched their 11-run inning from last night, today in the second inning. Senior Steven Sultzbaugh got the scoring started with a grand slam, his second home run in as many games. The Herd (27-31, 12-12 C-USA) walked in two runs, and senior first baseman Jimmy Comerota contributed a two-run single. Sophomore left fielder Michael Fuda then smacked his second hit of the inning, as did Sultzbaugh with a two-RBI double.

Rice picked up five more in the third thanks to an RBI single by senior catcher Diego Seastrunk - his 10th of the tournament - and homers by Comerota and junior right fielder Chad Mozingo. Then in the fifth, Sultzbaugh and Mozingo led off with back-to-back shots to center field, bumping the lead to 18-0.

Sultzbaugh, who has an overall .556 batting average in the C-USA Championship spanning the last two years, finished with four hits and seven RBI.

The center fielder attributes much of his success to his team and his attitude.

"It's hard to explain," Sultzbaugh said. "Just as a team overall, you know, we've been seeing the ball really well, and me personally being able to kind of settle down out there and kind of have good at bats each time I go up there. It's made it a lot easier to see the ball and hit it well."

Meanwhile, senior Jared Rogers (8-1), who leads the team in wins, got another one today with his stellar performance. Over seven innings - a complete game of sorts in today's shortened game - the righty gave up only five hits, walked none and struck out eight for a career-high.

Rogers found success although he had long waits in between his pitching spurts, and Head Coach Wayne Graham noted progress and improved pitches.

"Rogers has been getting better every game," Graham said. "He was really good today because Marshall's a good-hitting team. And he completely dominated them. He was just flat good. . His fastball I thought had a little more zip on it, and that made his breaking ball better."

As part of Rice's 19-hit attack, each starter reached base and eight of those nine reached twice or more. Graham continues to be surprised and pleased by the offensive onslaught.

"Well we're still zoned in with the bat," Graham said. "We're going to be really tested tomorrow night . so we'll find out just how zoned in we really are."

Rice will play the University of Southern Mississippi tomorrow night at 7 p.m. for the C-USA Championship title.

Academic quad officially opens with celebration

The redesigned academic quad had its grand opening Sept. 12. The ceremony included speeches, a ribbon cutting and guided tours for attendees to learn about new quad features.  Speakers included President Reggie DesRoches, board of trustees chairman Robert T. Ladd, landscape architect Thomas Woltz and several alumni.

FEATURES 9/18/24 12:36am
Shifting the status quo: Campus activism, protests change over time

Last week, the academic quad reopened after nearly a year of reconstruction, kickstarted by the decision to relocate the Founder’s Memorial statue. Protests for the statue’s removal began Aug. 31, 2020, and continued for a year and a half before the Board of Trustees announced their decision to remove the statue on Jan. 25, 2022.