Wednesday, September 18, 2024 — Houston, TX

Saturday's Sports Update: Golden Eagles fly too high for Owls

By Meghan Hall     5/16/10 7:00pm

There was an early offensive outburst in Saturday's game, but on Saturday that honor belonged to the University of Southern Mississippi. Rice could not overcome the first inning and lost the Conference USA Championship to Southern Miss 7-4.The Eagles (35-22, 14-10 C-USA) put up a four-spot in the first, thanks in part to two walks and a bases-loaded, two-run error by freshman second baseman Michael Ratterree.

"We had a couple of bad plays in the first inning that hurt us," Head Coach Wayne Graham said, "and Boogie walked three, and that's just one of those things."

The runs contributed to junior starter Boogie Anagnostou's (3-4) early departure. The right-hander only pitched into the second inning, when he was relieved by junior Abe Gonzales (4-3). Anagnostou forfeited four runs - only one of which was earned - along with three walks. Gonzales gave up one run while striking out three over 4.2 innings, when he was lifted in favor of freshman J.T. Chargois (3-2).

Rice got one run back in the first with a solo shot off the bat of shortstop Rick Hague, his 14th of the season. Then in the fifth, sophomore third baseman Anthony Rendon and senior catcher Diego Seastrunk hit a pair of two-out singles. Ratterree then doubled down the left field foul line, scoring two and helping to avenge his first-inning error. He came around to score on a single by senior first baseman Jimmy Comerota, bringing the Owls (38-21, 17-7 C-USA) within one.

However, the Blazers picked up one run each in the fifth, sixth and seventh, and Rice could not respond in the later innings.

At the conclusion of tonight's game, the C-USA All-Tournament team was announced. The Owls named to the team include: sophomore outfielder Michael Fuda, junior shortstop Rick Hague, junior outfielder Chad Mozingo, sophomore third baseman Anthony Rendon, senior pitcher Jared Rogers, senior catcher Diego Seastrunk and senior outfielder Steven Sultzbaugh.

The loss tonight is not expected to change Rice's prospects for the NCAA Regionals. The Owls will know their fate on Monday, but most expect the team to be a traveling No. 2 seed.

Academic quad officially opens with celebration

The redesigned academic quad had its grand opening Sept. 12. The ceremony included speeches, a ribbon cutting and guided tours for attendees to learn about new quad features.  Speakers included President Reggie DesRoches, board of trustees chairman Robert T. Ladd, landscape architect Thomas Woltz and several alumni.

FEATURES 9/18/24 12:36am
Shifting the status quo: Campus activism, protests change over time

Last week, the academic quad reopened after nearly a year of reconstruction, kickstarted by the decision to relocate the Founder’s Memorial statue. Protests for the statue’s removal began Aug. 31, 2020, and continued for a year and a half before the Board of Trustees announced their decision to remove the statue on Jan. 25, 2022.