Monday, September 16, 2024 — Houston, TX

Clubs to project Back to the Future on 90o sculpture

By Jieya Wen     11/5/13 6:00pm

With an aim toward originality, the Rice University Design for America studio and the Rice Center for Engineering Leadership will project the movie Back to the Future on the "90" portion of the "45, 90, 180" sculpture at Nov. 8 at 8 p.m., according to Rice DFA co-founder Sonia Garcia. 

"Outdoor movie showings have happened, but nothing ever happens in the Engineering Quad," Garcia, a Duncan College senior, said. "DFA and RCEL are collaborating ... to do something fun for the students. We are going to have popcorn machines, hot chocolate, a small concession [stand] and blankets for students."

According to Garcia, Rice DFA, founded in 2013, is a new chapter of the DFA network that started at Northwestern University in 2009.

"We work to create local and social impact throughout the Rice and Houston community through the power of human-centered design," Garcia said. "The movie night is just to help raise awareness and put on a fun event for the Rice community."

According to Lovett College sophomore Amber Wang, a member of the Rice DFA's marketing and branding team, RCEL is providing funding for this event while DFA is responsible for organizing and marketing.

"[DFA] brought this idea to RCEL," Wang said. [RCEL was] actually thinking about doing something similar, ... so we decided to collaborate on this.

Wang said RCEL and DFA may continue to collaborate in the future, but no plans have been made yet.

"By collaborating with RCEL, we want to indicate that we are working on leadership and design," Wang said. "But [DFA does] not want to give an impression that we are restricted to engineering. We are very interdisciplinary and open to all majors. Maybe in the future, when we are putting up another big event, we will collaborate with them again because they have been really supporting and helping us."

Remembering Andrea Rodriguez Avila

On a spring night, Andrea Rodriguez Avila was wrapping up her Peer Academic Advisor training. Her close friend, Karen Martinez, wanted boba tea; it was nearing the end of the semester, and everything was "messy and unorganized," she said. The two went to The Tea Nook on campus — Andrea had never been. "We talked the whole way there," Martinez said, and all through their wait in the line.