Saturday, September 07, 2024 — Houston, TX

Code of Conduct outlines new rustication policies

By Sapna Suresh     3/18/15 4:14pm

Social Rustication

“Removal from social activities at Rice, without restricting the student’s opportunity to live and eat in the colleges.”

• Cannot attend public or private parties where alcohol is present
  • Cannot participate in campus-wide events including Willy Week, Beer Bike, Rondolet and College Nights
  • Cannot be present if there are parties in their own room, even if a roommate or suitemate is the host

College Rustication

“Removal from the college and college life.”

• Includes all stipulations from social rustication
  • Cannot live in the college
  • Cannot eat or be in the servery
  • Cannot be around any of the colleges

Campus Rustication

“Removal from the University, except for academic access.”

• Includes all stipulations from social rustication and college rustication
  • Cannot be in or use the Rice Memorial Center or Recreation Center
  • Cannot attend varsity sport or any other campus-wide events
  • Only allowed to be on campus for academic reasons

Master's Rustication

“The ability to impose social or college rustication on students from their own college.”

• College masters have the ability to impose social or college rustication on students from their own college. They can also ban students from other colleges from the masters’ own college. Masters can “add prohibitions or proscriptions, including those that affect a student’s participation in academic and non-academic Rice activities” to their rustication of a student. However, students are allowed to appeal rustication decisions to the Dean of Undergraduates. Additionally, the masters’ decision does not mean that SJP will not conduct an investigation independent of the master’s decision and impose their own charges.

In January, Student Judicial Programs released an updated version of the Code of Student Conduct, to which all students agreed to adhere by virtue of registering for the semester. One major update to the document was the clear outlining of rustication policies. University Court officers were consulted in the creation of the revised Code, although SJP maintained authority over the revisions. 

Current UCourt Chair Brian Baran said the more precise definitions for each type of rustication, while clarifying, won't affect the court's proceedings. Sanctions are still considered on a case-by-case basis, with the revised Code serving as a starting point.

“The previous Code defined rustication broadly, so the terms had to be decided on a case-by-case basis,” Baran, a Duncan College senior, said. “The three levels now codified in the Code had already emerged in practice as a result of a need to craft sanctions that were fair, consistent and tailored to a given set of circumstances. The new definition furthers the same objectives with additional clarity for everyone involved.”

Edit: The article previously stated that SJP and UCourt jointly determined the new standard set of sanctions, that the revisions were necessary to maintain equity among possible punishments and that sanctions were no longer considered on a case-by-case basis. These statements are incorrect. Although UCourt officers were consulted on the revised Code, SJP ultimately had authority of the revisions. The revisions are meant to serve as clarifications of a process that already occurs. Furthermore, sanctions are still considered on a case-by-case basis.

Rice sees 44% yield for class of 2028

With a 44% yield rate, 1,149 students joined the class of 2028 along with 74 transfer students. Incoming classes continue to increase in size ahead of the construction of two new residential colleges.