Saturday, September 14, 2024 — Houston, TX

Jimmy DeNicco on empathy and economics

230818-dr-james-denicco-gustavo-105236
Courtesy Gustavo Raskosky

By Sam Balakrishnan     8/27/24 11:08pm

Jimmy DeNicco never thought he would be a professor – he had his sights set on working for policy makers in Washington D.C. A graduate school requirement to teach a class won his heart, changing the trajectory of his career. 

“[T]he first time I ever taught … that’s the closest I’ll ever get to being a rock star,” DeNicco, a lecturer in the department of economics, said. “I just really enjoy the back and forth with students. I love connecting with people.” 

Feeling directionless in his youth, DeNicco chose to pursue a degree at the Naval Academy, where he initially studied economics since the institution did not offer a business degree. While he found that he had a natural affinity for economics, it was the moral implications of the field that truly captivated him. 

“It’s about understanding how to give people better lives, give them access to the things that they need,” DeNicco said. “And that is when I really fell in love with it. It had that moral component to it, that human component to it.”

After transferring to Drexel University, DeNicco graduated in 2005. Shortly after, he found himself at work, sitting at a cubicle — finishing his work in an hour and struggling to find things to occupy the other seven hours of his workday. This led him back to academia, where he earned his Ph.D. at Drexel University in 2013. He started working as a visiting professor at the University of Tampa; a year later, he began pursuing roles elsewhere, eventually bringing him to Rice.

“I really didn’t think I had a chance at the job,” DeNicco said. 

He was required to teach a sample class as part of the interview process. 

“I just ignored the professors. I just looked at the students and I … went into Tasmanian devil mode,” DeNicco said. “I just spun around that room. I put as much energy as I could put out, as much interaction with the students as I could give, and apparently they really, really liked it.”

That energy and connection paid off, and what started as a two-year contract has blossomed into nearly a decade of teaching at Rice.

“I’m just an all in person. I have a hard time doing things halfway,” DeNicco said. 

DeNicco’s involvement at Rice also extends beyond the classroom. During his first semester at Rice, DeNicco was asked to be a faculty associate at Baker College. He pioneered Baker traditions such as Deers and Beers, where students are able to connect with each other over burgers (vegetarian and venison) and drinks. Today, he helps organize Baker’s annual Renaissance Fair trip and sponsors several on-campus clubs such as Rice Rally and Pancakes for Parkinson’s. 

DeNicco also works with students beyond those in his classes, including fresh-faced new students as part of his Divisional Advisor role. Along with other representatives of the School of Social Sciences, he hosts talks, answers questions and introduces different majors to incoming freshmen.  

“I … just try to make connections,” DeNicco said. “Maybe we come from different places. Maybe we even believe different things … I invite them into my world and make them feel welcome at Rice,” DeNicco said.

This openness and willingness to share parts of his life reflects in his efforts to make his classroom a space where students feel comfortable and engaged. 

“When you’re willing to share who you are with your students, it … makes you a little bit vulnerable to them, and makes them more willing to be a part of what you’re doing,” DeNicco said.

For DeNicco, the most important part of his role at Rice isn’t just teaching economics — it’s being someone students can rely on.

“I want people to understand economics … but the responsibility of being this person in students’ lives that they can get to know and trust and come to talk and ask questions and rely on to tell them the truth … that’s probably the most important thing that I do here,” DeNicco said.

Felicity Phelan said DeNicco’s dedication and enthusiasm inspired her to pursue her economics major. 

“I came into Rice with a completely different major, but his enthusiasm for the subject and how clearly he explained everything got me interested in the subject,” Phelan, a Duncan College junior, said. “I never felt bored in his class. Even in a giant lecture, he made the effort to get to know us as individuals and connect with us. DeNicco is such a fun and warm guy and I would encourage everyone to take his class.”

Amelie Carlton, a lecturer in Rice’s economics department, reflected on DeNicco’s warmth and humor. 

“Jimmy was one of the first professors to introduce themselves to me when I started teaching at Rice University,” Carlton said. “When people engage with Jimmy, he will always make you laugh. Whenever we talk with students, I always learn something and smile … Rice is a better place because of this legend. Does it get any better than learning with a smile?

Operations research boom reaches Rice

Students outside the engineering department and those especially averse to fulfilling their Group III distribution requirements may be unaware of the growing presence of operations research – or even what it is. 

Operations research boom reaches Rice

Bird is the word: Avian advocates urge awareness

Rice students’ lives are intertwined with avian life, from our mascot Sammy the Owl to the many birds that inhabit our thousands of trees. Recently, a group of students and faculty have raised concerns about the safety of birds at Rices and the unintended dangers campus architecture may pose.