Wednesday, September 18, 2024 — Houston, TX

‘Alligator Bites Never Heal’ marks Doechii as the new queen of hip-hop

doechii
Top Dawg Entertainment

By Charlie Cruz     9/10/24 11:19pm

Review: ★★★★

The self-proclaimed “new hip-hop Madonna” returns with a sonically diverse and beautiful mixtape; unfortunately, while she proves her talent, her path toward stardom remains unclear. Jaylah Ji’mya Hickmon, or Doechii, has been on the radar of hip-hop critics since she joined Top Dawg Entertainment in 2021, thanks to her endless potential as a rapper. Oldheads have drawn comparisons to Missy Elliott, while younger fans see shades of Kendrick Lamar and SZA — her talent and versatility are undeniable. But what remains uncertain is her direction: Will she continue down the path of a TikTok hit-maker, or is she poised to leave behind a lasting hip-hop legacy? Her latest mixtape, “Alligator Bites Never Heal,” brimming with introspective and radio-ready tracks, explores her identity as she grapples with her place in the industry.

The mixtape opens with “STANKA POOH,” a track that immediately immerses us in Doechii’s internal conflict and sets the tone for the entire project. Through vivid, personal storytelling, she wrestles with her desire to craft a lasting legacy, all while balancing the pressures of mainstream fame with the fear of becoming “just another Black Lives Mattered.” This duality underscores her quest for authenticity and direction in a music industry that often commodifies identity. Yet despite these tensions, Doechii’s lyrical sharpness and clever wordplay shine, showcasing her ability to create captivating, catchy songs that engage listeners.

As the album progresses, Doechii’s internal struggle deepens, leading to some of the mixtape’s most powerful moments. A standout track, “DENIAL IS A RIVER” displays her vulnerability and inventiveness as she uses beatboxing-like rhythms to represent her anxiety attacks. It’s a creative, rhythmic manifestation of her mental state, blending artistry and emotion in a way that feels both innovative and deeply personal. Even more impressive is her ability to embody two distinct characters in conversation, offering a window into her psyche through a playful yet reflective dialogue. The contrast between the grounded, rational voice and her spiraling thoughts adds complexity, making this one of the most fascinating tracks on the project. This kind of innovation shows why Doechii is beloved by oldheads — she pushes hip-hop forward without losing its core.

On the self-assured track “PROFIT,” Doechii reflects on her success, weaving vulnerability with a newfound power. She acknowledges the struggles she faced early on, but now, with “six figures” and a firm grasp on her worth, she declares her loyalty to the “motherfuckin’ profit.” The track underscores her acceptance of fame’s commercial pressures, but not at the expense of her rebellious streak. Lines like “Fuck modest, fuck polished, fuck the politics” capture her defiant refusal to conform to industry standards. “NISSAN ALTIMA” takes that confidence to another level. Here, Doechii’s bravado is fully on display as she declares herself “the new hip-hop Madonna” and “the trap Grace Jones,” solidifying her ambition to become a fixture in the genre. Together, these tracks highlight her rise as a bold, boundary-pushing artist. 

Unfortunately, while Doechii’s talents and message are undeniable, the project fails to showcase her potential fully. Throughout the mixtape, there’s a sense that she’s holding back, as if she hasn’t yet fully tapped into the raw energy and innovation she hints at. While many of the beats in the project lean into a funky, experimental sound, she doesn’t always use them to her full advantage. Some tracks feel like filler rather than essential contributions to the overarching narrative. With 19 songs on the album, the experience can feel overextended, and the album would have benefited from a more concise and focused selection of tracks that could more clearly convey her message.

At times, this lack of focus diminishes the impact of her storytelling, leaving the listener wishing for more sharpness and cohesion. If the album had been condensed and honed in on her most powerful moments, it could have delivered a more resonant and memorable statement about who Doechii is as an artist and where she’s headed. Despite this, the mixtape still highlights her vast potential — leaving listeners excited for what she could achieve with more refined production and tighter artistic direction. I do not doubt that Doechii will cement her place in hip-hop in a few years, where she will reign as the Queen of her era.

Review: “Rebel Ridge” Rocks

“Rebel Ridge,” director Jeremy Saulnier’s fourth feature, is my exact type of movie. A terse, political crime thriller with excellent hand-to-hand combat sequences? You can count me in, not only because I find the content exhilarating, but also because these kinds of thrillers seem few and far between in the blockbuster age we live in.

Celebrate Latine Literature This Month

The ubiquity of English translations, coupled with the innumerable Latine writers who create works in English, means that you don’t have an excuse — this Latine Heritage Month, read Hispanic authors. To get you started, here are just a few incredible novels and non-fiction works by Latine authors that have challenged, inspired and brought me joy.