Monday, September 16, 2024 — Houston, TX

Get back into the school spirit with these movies

back-to-school-movies-jennifer-liu
Jennifer Liu / Thresher

By Arman Saxena     9/3/24 11:02pm

Coming back to school is always a challenging transition, but don’t fret. The writers here at A&E have chosen a few entertaining movies that will help make your journey back into the school mindset more pleasant.

“Mean Girls” (2004)

School is a socially precarious place, and no movie conveys this better than “Mean Girls.” Tina Fey’s breakout hit, starring Lindsey Lohan, follows a transfer student navigating the Shakespearean power dynamics and complex social feelings of high school. Even with its unmistakable 2000s cheesiness, everything from the writing to the melodramatic performances is laugh-out-loud funny. “Mean Girls” can’t be mentioned without Regina George, a compelling villain whose cunning, megalomaniacal doings are brought home by Rachel McAdams’ flawless performance. It also sports exquisite costume design, Fey’s unwavering writing and a poignant message about the struggle to fit in. If you’re anxious about ending up in somebody’s burn book this semester, soothe your woes with this modern-day classic. - Thomas Pickell

“Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” (1986)

When the obligations of college loom, it helps to take time off — which may include terrorizing Chicago with your anxious best friend. This is a classic feel-good movie where Ferris, a hustling but good-hearted maverick, waltzes through a wonderful day off, leaving a trail of deceit and chaos in his wake. His rivalry with the bumbling principal keeps the film’s pace lively while also providing structure to the plot. The scenes brim with life, with rarely a dull visual and a message regarding finding purpose and identity. If you want to decompress before locking into your 300-card Anki deck, let Ferris Bueller take you on the joyride of a lifetime. - Thomas Pickell

“Nowhere” (1997)

Gregg Araki’s movies take the phrase “school daze” to new heights. Sex, drugs, aliens and existential angst populate this hilarious and surreal acid trip of a movie that tackles classic teen movies themes, such as identity, relationships and the search for meaning. If you’re looking for a quintessentially ’90s dramedy with vibrant colors and a banging alternative rock soundtrack, go watch this group of Los Angeles college students navigate life in a world only Araki could envision. - Arman Saxena

“3 Idiots” (2009)

As a new semester begins, we mustn’t forget to first reflect upon our journey, academic and otherwise, up until this moment. A potent catalyst for such reflection is “3 Idiots,” a Bollywood film directed by Rajkumar Hirani. The lives and evolution of Farhan, Raju and Rancho, three engineering college students who find themselves in the death claws of the Indian education system, are boldly displayed to the audience. Their story is multifaceted in nature and has a little bit for everyone — satire, rom-com and drama, you name it. A beautiful and heartwarming concoction of quick-witted remarks, heartwarming moments and hysterical comedic bits (as well as the typical Bollywood music scenes), “3 Idiots” has most certainly stood the test of time as the ultimate and quintessential coming-of-age film. - Hamza Saeed

“Chicago” (2002)

Start off the semester right with this glamorous, over-the-top adaptation of Bob Fosse’s classic musical. Following the rivalry between two women competing for public fame on death row, the film’s extravagant musical numbers — set in 1920s Chicago — are total camp but nonetheless pure eye candy. Renée Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones nail it with not only their musical prowess but also their performances as two power-hungry, wannabe celebrities. It’s a lighthearted (and yet darkly hilarious) story with insane rewatchability value and the perfect amount of colorful ‘kick’ to get your semester started. Watch with friends for a great time. – Max Scholl

“Booksmart” (2019)

What better way to start off the year than by watching a movie about graduation? This film follows two overachieving seniors who suddenly realize on the eve of graduation that their perfect academic records have left them with zero real-life experiences. Desperate to make up for lost time, they decide to cram four years of missed parties, hookups and chaos into one frantic, misguided night. What follows is a whirlwind of awkward encounters, questionable decisions and sobering realizations that could serve as a cautionary tale for any high-flying student who may be neglecting to live a little throughout the school year. All in all, “Booksmart” delivers a heartfelt reminder that sometimes, the best memories come from the most unexpected moments. - Jennifer Liu

At home and in the studio with Do Ho Suh

Visitors strolled through rows of sketches, thumbtacks and sticky notes pinned to the gallery walls of the Moody Center for the Arts during the Sept. 6 opening of “Do Ho Suh: In Process.” The exhibition emulates the studio of world-renowned artist Do Ho Suh, featuring major works by the South Korean-born and London-based artist in an unprecedented presentation of Suh’s practice that emphasizes his methodology and process.

‘Alligator Bites Never Heal’ marks Doechii as the new queen of hip-hop

The self-proclaimed “new hip-hop Madonna” returns with a sonically diverse and beautiful mixtape; unfortunately, while she proves her talent, her path toward stardom remains unclear. Jaylah Ji’mya Hickmon, or Doechii, has been on the radar of hip-hop critics since she joined Top Dawg Entertainment in 2021, thanks to her endless potential as a rapper. Oldheads have drawn comparisons to Missy Elliott, while younger fans see shades of Kendrick Lamar and SZA — her talent and versatility are undeniable. But what remains uncertain is her direction: Will she continue down the path of a TikTok hit-maker, or is she poised to leave behind a lasting hip-hop legacy? Her latest mixtape, “Alligator Bites Never Heal,” brimming with introspective and radio-ready tracks, explores her identity as she grapples with her place in the industry.