Tuesday, September 17, 2024 — Houston, TX

Letter from the opinion editor’s desk: Voicing your opinions is important more than ever

By Sammy Baek     9/10/24 11:35pm

Monday, Aug. 26 is a day that I’ll still remember, whether I want to or not. 

The shock I felt as I saw the shelter-in-place order ring on my phone. How my heart raced as a friend and I sought safety in a stranger’s suite at Brown College. How my voice shook as I picked up phone call after phone call from friends, family and colleagues. 

Aug. 26 was a day that none of us expected — when the fabric of this university and my college was torn apart by tragedy. 

Yet it was also a day when Rice students made the decision to mend that fabric — as we hugged each other, went on long walks with each other, held hands with each other, and listened to each other. 

Just this past week, at the celebration of life for Andrea Rodriguez Avila in the Rice Memorial Center, I saw people from all across campus talking, communicating, creating with each other wonderful works of prose, string, tile and paint. 

It’s especially on a dark day like that Monday that we can begin to process — by listening to each other and what we have to say. 

We want to hear what you have to say. There are many spaces on campus to connect, to share, to listen. These pages are one of them.

In my first opinion article for the Thresher reflecting on the shooting at Michigan State University, I said that “to create … to mold what lies around us into that which we desire…is our charge, our debt.” 

Those are words I still stand by today — words I intend to implement on this page by raising your voices to the forefront. It’s by sharing what we have to say with each other that we can enrich life on our campus, attend to important issues, and most importantly honor the lives of those who are no longer with us. 

As I enter my second year as opinions editor, my goal is to foster your thoughts and spotlight the many conversations held on this campus. 

At the end of the day, it’s your voices that matter and that I will strive to uphold. Our door will always be open. 

Letter from the editor’s desk: Telling the stories closest to home

Last week, I knew what I was going to write here. I spent the night before the semester began reading and re-reading what old editors-in-chief had to say in their welcome letters, picking up on common themes: building trust with readers, supporting student media, running a paper in unprecedented times. Then last week, one hour before our first staff meeting of the year, we received notice of an immediate shelter-in-place: RUPD was investigating a tragic homicide at Jones. Campus shut down, and everything stilled.