Wednesday, September 18, 2024 — Houston, TX

Local Foods to land on campus, Brochstein undergoes construction

local-foods-renderings-ben-rosenblum

Local Foods will operate out of an updated Brochstein Pavilion with a renovated central island.

Renderings courtesy Ben Rosenblum Studio

By Viola Hsia     9/3/24 10:37pm

Texas-based restaurant chain Local Foods will set up shop in Brochstein Pavilion. The pavilion is currently under renovation and set to be completed by the end of September, according to Beth Leaver, interim executive director of Housing and Dining. Family-run catering venture Little Kitchen previously operated out of Brochstein Pavilion, exiting at the end of the spring semester after four years on campus. This renovation is the pavilion’s first major upgrade in 15 years, Leaver said, and will renovate the pavilion’s kitchen and island area. 

“Although the pavilion is not open yet, the project is nearing completion, and we are eagerly anticipating its grand reopening soon,” Leaver wrote in an email to the Thresher. “This renovation is a significant investment in the future of dining at Rice, ensuring that Brochstein Pavilion continues to be a vibrant and central hub for campus life, now with an even more convenient and efficient service experience.”

Ben Rosenblum Studio, an architecture firm based in New York City and Houston, is spearheading the pavilion’s redesign. Pruitt Structures serves as the project’s general contractor, Leaver said.

According to Leaver, Local Foods will aim to benefit Rice students and provide a varied menu.

“We are excited to introduce Local Foods at Brochstein Pavilion as part of our ongoing efforts to enhance the campus dining experience with diverse, high-quality options,” Leaver wrote. “We welcome feedback and look forward to the positive impact [that] this new addition will have on daily life at Rice.”

According to Leaver, Local Foods plans to experiment with new menu items at Brochstein, allowing Rice to preview potential dishes.

“We are particularly excited about the partnership with Local Foods, as it allows Rice to serve as an incubator for culinary innovation,” Leaver wrote. “Local Foods plans to use Brochstein Pavilion as a testing ground for new recipes and menu items they are considering bringing to the market. This enables our community to be the first to preview and enjoy these innovative dishes.”

Local Foods owner Benjy Levit said the menu will consist of sandwiches, stone-baked pizza, freshly made pasta and sandwiches and salads that were popular at the restaurant’s other locations. Levit also said that pastries and coffee will be available beginning at 8 a.m., while the space itself will feature new furniture and a self-service section offering premade gourmet snacks.

“We are most excited to create a real jewel in the heart of the campus,” Levit wrote in an email to the Thresher. “We will provide warm hospitality and superior ingredients for a fair price.”

Academic quad officially opens with celebration

The redesigned academic quad had its grand opening Sept. 12. The ceremony included speeches, a ribbon cutting and guided tours for attendees to learn about new quad features.  Speakers included President Reggie DesRoches, board of trustees chairman Robert T. Ladd, landscape architect Thomas Woltz and several alumni.

FEATURES 9/18/24 12:36am
Shifting the status quo: Campus activism, protests change over time

Last week, the academic quad reopened after nearly a year of reconstruction, kickstarted by the decision to relocate the Founder’s Memorial statue. Protests for the statue’s removal began Aug. 31, 2020, and continued for a year and a half before the Board of Trustees announced their decision to remove the statue on Jan. 25, 2022.