Tuesday, September 17, 2024 — Houston, TX

Racing toward innovation: Veloci Running takes off

img-4811-1
Strothman poses with two different colored Veloci shoes. Courtesy Tyler Strothman

By Ana Rivera     9/10/24 11:26pm

Tyler Strothman’s passion for running began with a one-mile race in fifth grade. The event set the foundation for a lifelong connection to the sport; he hasn’t stopped running since. Rather than competition or personal records, a sense of camaraderie and connection led him to run at the Division I level, he said.

“It wasn’t just about winning,” Strothman, a Duncan College senior, said. “It was about feeling part of something bigger.”

As his love for running grew, so did his desire to combine it with entrepreneurship. Recognizing an opportunity to tackle common challenges faced by runners, Strothman, a sports management major, decided to launch his own company — Veloci Running.

Founding Veloci Running was a way for Strothman to stay connected to the running community while addressing a personal issue he had encountered — persistent foot pain caused by narrow toe boxes in traditional running shoes. 

“It got to the point where every step hurt, and I was close to giving up running altogether,” Strothman said.

Veloci began to take shape in December of last year, driven by Strothman’s desire to solve this problem for himself and other runners.

“I scoured the internet for a shoe that provided both comfort and performance but couldn’t find anything,” Strothman said. “That’s when I realized there was a real need for something new.”

Using his experience as both a runner and someone who had worked in running specialty stores, Strothman began sketching ideas for a shoe that addressed common pain points, particularly around toe box width and heel drop.

“I was shocked to hear that this type of shoe didn’t already exist,” said Garrett French ’24, Strothman’s classmate and friend. “Tyler had been dealing with foot pain for years, and Veloci was the solution to his problem. He identified a gap and went through the entire design and manufacturing process to create something runners truly need.”

Strothman’s entrepreneurial spirit, on the other hand, traces back to his childhood love of building Legos.

“When I was a kid, I loved figuring out how small pieces fit together to create something significant,” Strothman said. “That same mindset carried over into Veloci Running.”

The creation of Veloci was a deliberate, step-by-step process, much like his approach to building as a child. However, building a business from scratch wasn’t easy, Strothman said. He had to juggle multiple roles — researcher, designer, marketer and salesperson — while refining his product.

“I spent months reaching out to stores, refining the design and figuring out how to get it manufactured,” Strothman said. “Every day was a grind, but it was worth it because I knew this shoe could really help people.”

Attending run clubs across Houston, Strothman formed meaningful connections with fellow runners, gathering insights that helped shape Veloci’s evolution. He then expanded his outreach, traveling across Texas and neighboring states to pitch his product to store owners. 

“I’ve witnessed him at run clubs, giving his pitch many times,” French said. “He’s super welcoming, pulling people into conversations and making them smile. He gets everyone excited about the shoes.”

After months of pitching, Strothman secured partnerships with retailers at 15 different locations and began taking preorders for Veloci shoes about two months ago.

“Getting that first store order was a significant milestone,” Strothman said. “It was a relief to know that people actually wanted the product I had worked so hard to create.”

Andrew Abikhaled ’22, a former Rice track and field captain, also witnessed Strothman’s entrepreneurial journey. He recalled hearing about Strothman’s entrepreneurial ambitions during their runs together. 

“We’d go on runs, and [Strothman] would talk for an hour straight about this idea,” Abikhaled said. “He was frustrated after applying to internships at different shoe companies — Adidas, Brooks, Hoka — and getting turned down. Eventually, he decided, ‘I see a problem, and I’m going to solve it myself.”

As he continues to build his brand, Strothman said he remains committed to creating a brand deeply connected to the running community.

“Running gave me a sense of belonging,” Strothman said. “With Veloci, I want to give that feeling back to others.”