Wednesday, September 25, 2024 — Houston, TX

Rice is going through an awkward phase

By Zain Rahman     9/24/24 11:57pm

Editor’s Note: This is a guest opinion that has been submitted by a member of the Rice community. The views expressed in this opinion are those of the author and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of the Thresher or its editorial board. All guest opinions are fact-checked to the best of our ability and edited for clarity and conciseness by Thresher editors.

Rice is going through puberty, marked by awkwardness, evolving parts and existential questions. This pivotal time offers both challenges and opportunities for growth. Our actions now, as a community, will have lasting impacts on Rice’s future.

Since its founding in 1912, Rice was intentionally designed as a small institution. Edgar Odell Lovett, our first president, emphasized, “Keep the numbers down and the standards high.” For much of its history, Rice was known as the quirky, nerdy school for space enthusiasts, with unique traditions like Beer Bike, Night of Decadence and Baker 13 reflecting its eccentric and close-knit culture. This was Rice’s childhood.

The university’s “puberty” began in 2004 under President Leebron, driven by what I term “Ivy-fever” — an ambition to emulate prestigious, medium-sized universities through enhanced prestige, academic offerings, selectivity and expansion. As a top-20 school, Rice sought to modernize and meet new standards, primarily by increasing enrollment. 

This initiative took shape with the addition of McMurtry and Duncan Colleges in 2009, adding about 1,000 students. This marked the first phase of Rice’s transformation, characterized by lower admission rates, expanded academic programs, new building projects, international programs and, notably, an undergraduate business program. Despite these changes, core infrastructure and culture remained largely the same, with ongoing issues like limited resources at key facilities such as late-night dining and convenience options, underdeveloped campus areas and student engagement with athletics.

The next phase of our metamorphosis, leading to Rice’s “adulthood,” will begin with one key development: increasing undergraduate enrollment from 4,800 to potentially 5,800 students through the opening of college 12 and within the next ten years, college 13. This significant growth will fundamentally change Rice, shifting it from a small niche school to a medium-sized institution comparable to institutions such as Duke University and Princeton University. Both infrastructure and culture will need to adapt, and this is where our role becomes crucial.

As the “middle children” of this transition, we straddle the line between preserving our quirky traditions and embracing the possibilities ahead — a bustling campus reminiscent of elite educational institutions. It’s our responsibility to safeguard the elements that make Rice unique while advocating for necessary infrastructural and academic changes to accommodate future students.

Preserving Rice’s unique traditions and small-school culture is vital. Events like Beer Bike, NOD and Baker 13 are the soul of Rice, anchoring us to our roots. New students must be introduced to these traditions to continue them. However, we must also acknowledge and prepare for radical changes, integrating these changes with Rice’s idiosyncratic history.

Firstly, the athletic landscape will evolve. With more students, Rice Athletics will have greater recruitment opportunities, and student investment in sports may increase — a significant shift for a campus historically apathetic toward athletics. We should facilitate this change by integrating college sports into our culture, such as through a larger and more robust tailgate culture, residential college watch-parties for events and initiatives to expand Rice Athletics as representing all of Houston. Many of these initiatives are already being worked on, such as through student-led spirit for athletic events like Rice Rally. 

Secondly, the surge in student population will lead to a proliferation of clubs and opportunities. Organizations common at other universities but new to Rice will emerge. We must support this growth by simplifying club registration and fostering an environment that encourages exploration without excessive competition, particularly in fields like business and consulting. Rice has already begun the process of making more accessible clubs, such as through student leadership training like SOLO and RISE. This trend should not only continue but expand as more and more students with diverse and varied backgrounds and interests make their home at Rice.

Thirdly, campus redevelopment is inevitable. The Rice Memorial Center, for example, should be redeveloped to offer more food options, expand student spaces like Rice Coffeehouse and enhance facilities for organizations like the Thresher and KTRU. An expanded RMC will also be able to host an expanded Office of Academic Advising, Study Abroad Office and potentially others. This should be a joint effort, for students to advocate for an expanded student center and for administration to heed their calls.

Fourthly, our campus food landscape will change. Currently, options are limited after 8 p.m., effectively making Rice a food desert at night. We should advocate for extended dining options, such as late-night food trucks, on-campus fast-food outlets and a 24/7 convenience store.

We attend Rice at a unique juncture — too late for the small STEM-focused past, too early for the future multi-faceted powerhouse of the Ivies. Recognizing our pivotal role, we must preserve our distinctiveness while adapting our mindset to align with Rice’s evolving identity. We stand at the crossroads of history, and our efforts, both students and administration, now will shape Rice for generations to come.

As President Lovett said on March 4, 1946, and as inscribed on Duncan College: “Rice is in a state of transition … at Rice, the good life will continue to be lived, but better.”