Monday, September 16, 2024 — Houston, TX

Rice Rally Club sparks new wave of school spirit

By Ana Rivera     9/3/24 11:12pm

As the fall semester kicks off, the Rice Rally Club is bringing new energy to campus. Leading this movement are students Priya Armour, Morgan Toran and Hannah Wixom.

“Our goal is to make Rice sporting events something students genuinely look forward to,” Armour, Rice Rally president, said. “The Rice Rally Club works hard to bridge the gap between Rice Athletics and the student body.”

One of Armour’s favorite moments so far as Rice Rally Club president was the football tailgate before the Owls faced Sam Houston State University.

“I was honestly worried about the turnout [for that game],” Armour, a Sid Richardson College junior, said. “But seeing so many people hanging out, playing games and supporting our football team together made me so happy and hopeful for the year ahead.”

This year, she said, the club has undergone significant changes aimed at increasing student engagement.

“We’ve completely restructured the club to create more opportunities for involvement,” Armour said. “One of the most exciting changes is the introduction of sister college tailgates at football games, [which is] a first for the university. College presidents will proudly carry their crests to the stadium, bringing a renewed sense of pride and competition to the sidelines.”

Armour said Rice Rally’s efforts extend beyond boosting attendance; they’re also focused on making game day experiences more convenient for students. 

“We now have shuttles running to the stadium on game day, so students don’t have to walk,” Armour said. “We’re also planning a tailgate at the University of Houston for the Bayou Bucket, with shuttles taking students from Rice [to UH’s TDECU Stadium].”

However, Armour said she recognizes the challenge of fostering school spirit, especially in a community so centered on individual residential college life.

“I think athletics doesn’t get the support it deserves because we’re so closely tied to our residential colleges rather than to Rice as a united community,” Armour said. “That’s why this year, we’re finding creative ways to involve the residential colleges more.”

As the year progresses, Armour said that she, Toran and Wixom are optimistic that their efforts will leave a lasting impact on the culture at Rice.

“We’re not just building school spirit, we’re building a legacy of pride and unity that will last far beyond our time here,” Armour said.

The next Rice Rally Club event is Sept. 3 at 6 p.m. at Tudor Fieldhouse, as Rice Women’s Volleyball takes on Baylor University. The theme is “Black Out Baylor,” featuring a t-shirt giveaway and free food.