Wednesday, October 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

2024 Harris County Election Guide

2024-10-23-voter-guide-dominant-media
Alice Sun / Thresher

If you’re voting in Harris County for this year’s elections, your ballot will have competitive federal, state and local races, in addition to three propositions. To help you make your choice at the polls, we’ve put together a voting guide detailing the ballot’s candidates and propositions.

U.S. President

• Donald Trump (R)
    • Former U.S. president and real estate mogul is aiming for a return to the White House, four years after losing his reelection bid to current president Joe Biden. Trump’s major policy goals include expanded tax cuts and initiating the country’s “largest deportation operation” in history.
  • Kamala Harris (D)
    • Current U.S. vice president took over the top of the Democratic ticket after Biden dropped out of the race in July. Formerly a U.S. senator and a California prosecutor, Harris’ platform focuses on restoring abortion access and remedying a national housing shortage.
  • Jill Stein (G)
    • Physician, three-time Green Party nominee and former candidate for Massachusetts governor, Stein is running a campaign pushing for anti-war policies and a “Real Green New Deal.”
  • Chase Oliver (L)
    • Political activist Oliver is running his first presidential campaign on a platform of minimal government interference. The Gazette has described him as a “pro-gun, pro-police reform, pro-choice Libertarian.” 

Congress

U.S. Senate

Texas voters will elect one person to represent their state at the federal level for six years alongside Republican Senator John Cornyn, who is not up for election until 2026 as term lengths in the Senate are staggered. The unusually contested race could determine whether Democrats keep control of the Senate or lose it to the Republicans after this election cycle. 

• Ted Cruz (R)
    • Incumbent Cruz is running for a third six-year term. As a former solicitor general, Cruz has been ranked as one of the chamber’s most conservative members. He came under fire in 2021 when he took a trip to Mexico during the Texas freeze — an act that his opponent, Colin Allred, has invoked in the hopes of persuading voters to deny him a third term.  
  • Colin Allred (D)
    • This former NFL player and current Congressman from Dallas is pitching himself as “the honest, pragmatic” alternative to incumbent Senator Ted Cruz. As senator, Allred would support raising the minimum wage, codifying Roe v. Wade into law and capping prescription drug costs. 
  • Ted Brown (L)
    • This self-employed insurance adjuster from the Austin metro area presents himself as a clean, “principled alternative” to the two-party system. As senator, Brown would introduce legislation repealing the federal income tax and abolishing the Department of Education, the Internal Revenue Service and the Federal Drug Administration. 

U.S. Representative, District 7

Texas voters in District 7 will elect one person to represent them for a two-year term in the U.S. House of Representatives. With all 435 House seats up for grabs every two years, this district will be closely watched as Democrats fight to regain control after losing it in 2022.

• Caroline Kane (R)
    • Kane, a Houston-based entrepreneur, is running to unseat Lizzie Fletcher by promoting a pro-business, limited-government agenda. Kane criticizes the Biden administration’s economic policies and has pledged to reduce government regulations, expand border security measures and enhance energy production in Texas.
  • Lizzie Fletcher (D)
    • The incumbent Congresswoman, Fletcher has built a reputation as a centrist Democrat focused on economic development and healthcare access. Fletcher positions herself as a bridge between business interests and progressive values — she voted to protect the right to an abortion after Roe v. Wade’s fall and secured funding for flood mitigation projects in Houston.

Texas Legislature

State Representative, District 134

Voters in this district, encompassing Rice’s Inner and Outer Loop, River Oaks, Bellaire, and the Texas Medical Center, will have the option to elect one person to represent them for a two-year term in the Texas House of Representatives. 

• Audrey Douglas (R)
    • Douglas, a consulting firm CEO, is the Republican candidate for state representative to oust Ann Johnson. Douglas “does not appear to be running a substantive campaign,” the Houston Chronicle reported, and may not reside in the district she’s running in.
  • Ann Johnson (D)
    • This former human trafficking prosecutor and current law professor defeated her opponent in a contentious race in 2020. Johnson, a Democrat who is running for re-election, has fought vigorously to protect reproductive rights in Texas after the Dobbs decision. She has also crafted legislation circumventing Texas’s attempts to ban gender-affirming care for minors, and worked to get new criminal courts for Harris County. 

State Senator, District 15

Voters in Texas’s 15th Senate District will elect a new state senator to represent them for a four-year term in Austin. The race has drawn attention for its potential impact on key state issues, including healthcare, education and criminal justice reform. As Republicans push to consolidate power in the state legislature, Democrats hope to flip seats like District 15, making it a battleground in the larger fight for the direction of Texas politics.

• Molly Cook (D)
    • Cook, a registered nurse and community activist from Houston, won a special election in May to fill the Senate vacancy left by now-Houston mayor John Whitmire. The first openly LGBTQ+ candidate elected to the Texas Senate and the first woman to represent the district, Cook is vying to win a full term. She presents herself as a grassroots candidate fighting for working families, and advocates for Medicaid expansion, abortion rights and a ceasefire in Gaza.
  • Joseph L. Trahan (R)
    • Businessman Trahan is running for Texas Senate District 15, framing his campaign as a fresh start for the district. A longtime Houston resident, Trahan emphasizes conservative policies such as strengthening border security, ending property taxes and expanding parental choice in education. 

Judges

Justice, Supreme Court, Place 2

Texas voters will choose three out of the nine justices on the state Supreme Court, each of whom will serve six-year terms. As the court of last resort for Texas’ civil matters, these justices have decided on hot-button issues — most notably the Kate Cox case, which denied an abortion to a woman carrying a baby with a fatal condition. As of at least the last election cycle in 2018, all Supreme Court judgeships have been held by Republicans. 

• Jimmy Blacklock (R)
    • Incumbent Blacklock was appointed by Gov. Greg Abbott in 2018, going on to defeat Democrat Steven Kirkland in his first election to the post. He previously worked in the civil rights division of the U.S. Department of Justice under President George W. Bush. 
  • Dasean Jones (D)
    • Army veteran Jones is currently a judge in Harris County’s 180th District Court. He was the subject of legal battles in 2022 when, after narrowly winning his seat by 500 votes, his Republican opponent contested the election results.

Justice, Supreme Court, Place 4

• John Devine (R)
    • Incumbent Devine is a staunch supporter of the anti-abortion movement, and has proudly said he was arrested 37 times for protesting at abortion clinics. Devine has faced criticism from Democrats and GOP peers alike, and has often described church-state separation as a “myth.”
  • Christine Vinh Weems (D)
    • Weems is currently a judge in Harris County’s 281st Civil District Court. A child of Vietnamese immigrants, Weems is campaigning to bring “impartiality, fairness and balance to the court.” She issued an opinion in 2022 that blocked Texas from enforcing a 1925 abortion ban, and has been endorsed by the reproductive rights organization EMILY’s List. 

Justice, Supreme Court, Place 6

• Jane Bland (R)
    • Bland, the incumbent, was appointed to the Texas Supreme Court by Gov. Abbott in 2019. She previously served as a justice in the First District Court of Appeals.
  • Bonnie Lee Goldstein (D)
    • Goldstein is currently a justice in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, elected in 2020. She previously served as a presiding judge in the 44th Judicial District Court, and was named the legal counselor to the Mexican Consulate in Houston.
  • David Roberson (L)
    • Roberson currently works as a tax attorney to monetize tax incentives, most notably for research and development. Roberson supports increased funding for public defenders.

Presiding Judge, Court of Criminal Appeals

Texas Court of Criminal Appeals is the state's court of last resort for criminal matters and is composed of a presiding judge and eight judges. The presiding judge is selected by voters at large and serves for a six-year term.

• David J. Schenck (R)

Schenck is a former appellate attorney who has served on the Dallas Court of Appeals, as Deputy Attorney General and as Chairman of the Texas State Commission on Judicial Conduct. He is backed by attorney general Ken Paxton.

• Holly Taylor (D)

Taylor currently works as a prosecutor with the Travis County District Attorney's Office. A decade ago, Taylor was part of the legal team that successfully tried a former U.S. representative for money laundering. 

Judge, Court of Criminal Appeals, Place 7

• Gina Parker (R)

Parker has served as Assistant District Attorney and chair of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. She identifies as a constitutional conservative and, if elected, would prioritize community safety, preserving the rule of law and ensuring justice for victims.

• Nancy Mulder (D)

Mulder is currently presiding judge over Texas Criminal District Court 6, and has also worked as a criminal defense attorney in private practice. She has chaired local release programs in Dallas County, and her platform emphasizes fairness, preparedness and dignity. 

Judge, Court of Criminal Appeals, Place 8

• Lee Finley (R)
    • Finley, endorsed by Donald Trump, says if elected he will strictly interpret the constitution and honor the rule of law. He has been a criminal lawyer for 20 years and is a Marine Corps veteran. 
  • Chika Anyiam (D)
    • Anyiam has been a judge in Dallas County’s Criminal District Court since 2018 and has 20 years of legal experience. Anyiam was the center of a controversy in early 2022 when she lowered bail for a road rage shooting suspect whose defense attorney gave political donations to Anyiam, but after public backlash she raised the bail and then recused herself from cases involving the suspect.

Justice, 1st Court of Appeals District, Place 2

Harris County voters will elect a judge who oversees cases in the 1st Court of Appeals, an intermediate appellate court with jurisdiction over criminal and civil cases from 10 counties. These judges also preside over cases where the death penalty is imposed and cases seeking “extraordinary relief,” or where monetary compensation is insufficient to address an issue. 

• Jennifer Caughey (R)
    • Caughey, who previously served as an appointed judge in Place 9 until she lost her election to Democrat Pete Kelly in 2018, is running as the Republican nominee to return to the 1st Court of Appeals. 
  • Brendetta Scott (D)
    • Scott, the Democratic nominee, is also leaning on her years of experience — although in her case, as an attorney in various legal fields with a “passion for justice… [and a] commitment to fairness and integrity.” 

Justice, 1st Court of Appeals District, Place 6

• Andrew Johnson (R)
    • Johnson has spent over five years of his law career working for the Houston Courts of Appeals and is a textualist who believes an appellate judge should interpret the law as written. He has almost 17 years of experience as an appellate attorney in private practice.
  • Sarah Beth Landau (D)
    • Landau, the incumbent who has held the position since 2019, is a former public defender who has 20 years of legal experience and has handled more than 400 appeals. 

Justice, 1st Court of Appeals District, Place 7

• Clint Morgan (R)
    • Morgan, Harris County’s current assistant district attorney, has over a decade of criminal appellate law experience. He has pledged to focus strictly on the law, maintaining that personal beliefs or biases have no place in judicial decisions.
  • Julie Countiss (D)
    • Incumbent judge Julie Countiss has served in the 1st Court of Appeals since 2018. With more than 20 years of legal experience, Countiss has reviewed cases from civil, criminal, probate, family law and juvenile matters. 

Justice, 1st Court of Appeals District, Place 8

• Kristin M. Guiney (R)
    • Guiney currently serves as the presiding judge over the 183rd Criminal District Court. Guiney is the executive director of Angela House, a nonprofit that helps women reenter society after incarceration.
  • Richard Hightower (D)
    • Hightower, the incumbent, is a fifth-generation lawyer who previously had his own law firm representing the interests of public school districts. Hightower has held this office since 2019.

Justice, 1st Court of Appeals District, Place 9

• Susanna Dokupil (R)
    • Dokupil, who has been endorsed by Gov. Abbott, has been a lawyer in Texas for over 20 years. She is currently special counsel in the Texas attorney general Ken Paxton's office. Dokupil’s website states that her candidacy represents a “departure from partisan politics.” 
  • Amber Boyd-Cora (D)
    • Boyd-Cora, currently a lawyer focusing on construction and real estate, defeated incumbent Peter Kelly in the March Democratic primary. Boyd-Cora said her candidacy is dedicated to “ensuring that our legal system serves everyone equally” and if elected, will prioritize “transparency, accountability and responsiveness.”

Justice, 14th Court of Appeals District, Place 3

• Chad Bridges (R)
    • Bridges currently presides over the 458th District Court. He previously worked as an assistant district attorney in Harris County, specifically regarding post-conviction death penalty litigation. During this time, Bridges helped develop a program to allow low-level narcotics defendants to enter a treatment plan instead of standing trial. He also wrote a grant creating a legal team to identify and assist those at risk of domestic violence in Fort Bend County.
  • Velda Renita Faulkner (D)
    • Faulkner has served as an attorney for over 30 years. Her goal is to bring more diversity to the 14th Court of Appeals and better represent the people living in her district. If elected, she said she aims to provide a unique perspective on appellate cases and encourage mentorship programs in the district.

Justice, 14th Court of Appeals District, Place 4

• Tonya McLaughlin (R)
    • McLaughlin is a former felony prosecutor and criminal defense attorney that runs her own law practice. She has worked in the Harris County District Attorney’s office, and points to her experience handling over 100 appeals cases as a qualification to serve on the 14th Court of Appeals.
  • Charles Spain (D)
    • Spain, the incumbent — and an associate at Will Rice College — has served as appellate judge since 2018, when he was elected as the first openly LGBTQ+ appellate judge in Texas. Prior to this, he worked as a staff attorney for 23 years in different appellate courts, including the Texas Supreme Court. 

Justice, 14th Court of Appeals District, Place 5

• Maritza Michele Antú (R)

Antu has served as a prosecutor, defense attorney and District Court judge. Her platform emphasizes the importance of providing effective legal representation for low-income individuals, favors nonpartisan judicial races and supports the creation of the new business court to specialize in complex business cases.

• Frances Bourliot (D)

Bourliot, the incumbent, was elected to the 14th Court of Appeals in 2018, and was the first Asian-American woman elected to the bench. She has worked as a public defender, and represented low-income and death row inmates with the Texas Innocence Network. 

Justice, 14th Court of Appeals District, Place 6

• Katy Boatman (R)

Boatman is an appellate lawyer at a Texas-based law firm, and has clerked for the Texas Supreme Court and 5th Circuit of Appeals. Her campaign emphasizes impartiality, consistency and fairness as judicial ideals. 

• Meagan Hassan (D)

Hassan, the incumbent, was elected to the 14th Court of Appeals in 2018, and identifies as a progressive constitutionalist. Her platform promotes the courts’ role as a check on the legislative and administrative branches of government, and she advocates equal application of the laws, regardless of partisanship. 

Justice, 14th Court of Appeals District, Place 8

• Brad Hart (R)

Hart has worked as a prosecutor in the Harris County District Attorney’s office, where he notably secured the conviction of a man who shot a Houston Police officer. Hart also served as Judge of the 230th Criminal District Court.

• Margaret ‘Meg’ Poissant (D)

Poissant, the incumbent, has many years of experience as a Texas trial lawyer, specializing in personal injury, wrongful death and business law cases, while also providing pro bono services. 

District Judge, 11th Judicial District

Civil district court judges must be at least 25, licensed to practice law in Texas for at least four years, and Harris County residents for at least two years. Judicial vacancies in district courts are filled by appointment of the governor. The judge of the 11th District Court presides over jury and bench trials, along with pre-trial matters. This court hears civil cases.

• Nile Bailey Copeland (R)
    • Copeland has been an associate municipal judge for the City of Houston, a partner at a Houston-based law firm and a commercial and residential realtor in Texas. While he ran for Texas 55th District Court he was defeated by Latosha Payne (D) in the general election. 
  • Kristen Hawkins (D)
    • Hawkins, the incumbent, was first elected back in 2016 and re-elected in 2020. Prior to her election, she practiced general civil litigation and represented individuals applying for Social Security disability.

District Judge, 61st Judicial District

• Lee Kathryn Shuchart (R)
    • Shuchart, an attorney with nearly 40 years of experience, currently practices law  with a focus on insurance defense and personal injury cases.
  • Fredericka Phillips (D)
    • Fredericka Philips, first elected in 2016, is running for her third term in this position. With over 17 years of experience as a civil litigator, she has previously represented both individuals and businesses in state and federal courts.

District Judge, 80th Judicial District

• Sonya L. Aston (R)
    • Aston, a sixth-generation Houstonian, currently serves as general counsel to state senator Paul Bettencourt. Aston has a legal background in business, construction, environmental and election law. 
  • Jeralynn Manor (D)
    • First elected in 2020, Jeralynn Manor has nearly 20 years of experience in judicial matters, focusing on fee and escrow matters, helping Texans achieve homeownership as a fee attorney for title companies.

District Judge, 125th Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• Kyle Carter (D)
    • Carter has served as the judge for this district since 2009 and is running for re-election unopposed. A native Houstonian, he brings experience from his previous work as a senior litigation associate and general counsel.

District Judge, 127th Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• Denise Brown (D)
    • A trial attorney with over 20 years of experience, Brown is running unopposed for this judgeship. Born and raised in Pasadena, Texas, she has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in cases from medical malpractice and business disputes to consumer litigation. 

District Judge, 129th Judicial District

• Will Archer (R)
    • Archer is running for a seat on the Houston 1st Court of Appeals, bringing over 31 years of legal experience. A 5th-generation Houstonian, Archer says he takes pride in his deep community roots and extensive public service. He has received endorsements from over 100 practicing attorneys. 
  • Michael Gomez (D)
    • Gomez is running for re-election to the Houston 1st Court of Appeals. Serving the citizens of Harris County for four terms, Gomez says he emphasizes accessibility and efficiency in his court.

District Judge, 133rd Judicial District

• Michael Landrum (R)
    • Landrum is certified in civil trial and appellate law, with prior experience in serving as the judge for both the 164th and 113th district courts.
  • Nicole Perdue (D)
    • Perdue, with over 20 years of civil trial experience, first started her career in employment litigation and later expanded to other civil matters.

District Judge, 151st Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• Erica Hughes (D)
    • Hughes, currently presiding over the Harris County Misdemeanor Veterans Court, is running unopposed. In 2018, she was elected as one of the 18 African-American female judges in Harris County. 

District Judge, 152nd Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• TaKasha Francis (D)
    • Francis ran her own boutique law firm until 2016, when Mayor Sylvester Turner named her director of the department of neighborhoods. There, she worked to provide resources for immigrants and refugees as well as reducing gang activity and juvenile delinquency. 

District Judge, 164th Judicial District

Writing: Sarah

• Aaron Gabriel Adams (R)
    • Adams previously ran for the 151st District Court in 2016 but lost the primary. He has been practicing law in Texas for 19 years.
  • Cheryl Elliott Thornton (D)
    • Incumbent Thornton was elected to the 164th District in 2020. She was previously the senior assistant county attorney for Harris County. 

District Judge, 165th Judicial District

• Bruce Bain (R)
    • Bain is running for a seat on the Houston 1st Court of Appeals, bringing over 30 years of civil trial experience in areas such as commercial, constitutional, personal injury, business, and real estate law. 
  • Ursula A. Hall (D)
    • Hall, first elected to the bench in 2016, is running for re-election to continue serving on the Houston 1st Court of Appeals. Hall brings nearly two decades of judicial experience, including 11 years as an associate municipal judge for the city of Houston. 

District Judge, 174th Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• Hazel B. Jones (D)
    • A native Houstonian, Jones has been a member of Houston’s legal community since 1996, serving as the assistant district attorney and later as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, where she has prosecuted armed felons and worked on federal initiatives like “Project Safe Neighborhoods.”

District Judge, 176th Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• Nikita ‘Niki’ Harmon (D)
    • Harmon has served as judge for the 176th judicial district since 2016. Before her election, she served as an associate judge for the city of Houston.

District Judge, 177th Judicial District

• Emily Munoz Detoto (R)
    • Munoz Detoto, a fourth-generation Texan, has been practicing criminal law for 27 years and has owned her own firm since 2001. She is board-certified in criminal law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.  
  • Robert Johnson (D)
    • Johnson is the incumbent judge. He was elected to the bench in 2016 and has over 20 years of experience in criminal law. While he began his career in the private sector, he opened his own practice specializing in criminal law. 

District Judge, 178th Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• Kelli Johnson (D)
    • Johnson, with over 20 years of experience, is running unopposed for her third term. She has previously handled a variety of cases, including capital murder and state jail felonies. 

District Judge, 179th Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• Ana Martinez (D)
    • Martinez, running unopposed for re-election, has previously overseen cases involving murder and sexual offenses against children. Martinez’s website says she’s one of the few bilingual appointed attorneys in the county’s criminal courts.

District Judge, 215th Judicial District

• Nathan J. Milliron (R)
    • Milliron has been practicing law for 20 years, covering a range of civil matters from breach of contract actions to real estate.
  • Elaine Palmer (D)
    • Palmer, the incumbent, has served as a judge since 2012. She has experience in private practice, district courts and state courts. Outside of court, she was an adjunct professor in Westwood College’s paralegal program. 

District Judge, 333rd Judicial District

• Brian Staley (R)
    • Staley has 27 years of legal experience and owns a small retail business with his wife. Prior to law school, he worked as an analyst for the Central Intelligence Agency. 
  • Tracy D. Good (D)
    • Good was previously an Associate Judge in Harris County Family District Court 309th for three years, and previously worked in private practice. He is a certified public accountant and internal auditor.  

District Judge, 334th Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• Dawn Rogers (D)
    • Rogers, a native Houstonian and first-generation lawyer, is seeking reelection to the district’s judgeship. She first assumed the position in 2021.

District Judge, 337th Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• Colleen Gaido (D)
    • Gaido, first elected to the judgeship in 2021, is seeking a second term. Gaido made headlines in August after abruptly recusing herself from a murder case involving the fatal shooting of a 9-year-old girl.

District Judge, 338th Judicial District

• Michele Oncken (R)
    • Oncken has worked as a prosecutor for 30 years in Harris County. She supports probation, as opposed to incarceration, for some non-violent offenses or first-time offenders.   
  • Allison Jackson Mathis (D)
    • After starting her career as a public defender in Palau, Jackson Mathis worked in New Mexico and Washington, especially with Indigenous communities. In Texas, she has worked as a felony trial attorney and as representation for border operation defendants.   

District Judge, 339th Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• Te’iva Bell (D)
    • Bell is running unopposed for reelection. Prior to serving as District Judge, Bell has 15 years of legal experience as a public defender, criminal defense lawyer and prosecutor. If elected, Bell would promote restorative justice and criminal justice reform.

District Judge, 351st Judicial District — UNCONTESTED

• Natalia ‘Nata” Cornelio (D)
    • Prior to serving as judge, incumbent Cornelio was a federal public defender and civil rights attorney for families separated at the US-Mexico border. 

District Judge, 486th Judicial District

• Aaron Burdette (R)
    • Incumbent Burdette used to serve as general counsel for U.S. LawShield and assistant district attorney for the Harris County District Attorney’s Office for 14 years. 
  • Vivian King (D)
    • King currently works at the Harris County District Attorney’s office, and has previously served as a prosecutor and private practice attorney. Outside of court, King co-stars in a reality television show about Black female lawyers in Houston.  

District Judge, 487th Judicial District

• Lori Deangelo (R)
    • DeAngelo, appointed by Gov. Abbott in 2023, is running for reelection. With over 25 years of experience in criminal law — 20 years as a prosecutor and 5 as a criminal defense attorney — she has reduced the court’s case backlog by nearly 40% since her appointment. 
  • Stacy Allen Barrow (D)
    • As a current felony associate judge for the Harris County Criminal District Courts, Barrow has handled over 1,500 felony cases and has experience in criminal law.

District Judge, 488th Judicial District

• Matthew Peneguy (R)
    • From 2019 to 2023, incumbent Peneguy was an assistant U.S.attorney in the criminal division for the U.S. Attorney’s Southern District of Texas office. Prior to his work with the U.S. Attorney’s Office, he was an assistant district attorney in Harris County for 13 years. 
  • Carvana Cloud (D)
    • Cloud has worked as a prosecutor, leading the Special Victims Bureau. She co-founded Houston’s Domestic Abuse Response Team, established a social justice think tank and owns a family and immigration law firm.   

District Judge, 507th Judicial District

• Dan Lemkuil (R)
    • Lemkuil has operated his own family law practice since 2006, and previously served as an associate judge in the 310th district from 2000-2006. 
  • Lillian Henny Alexander (D)
    • With 13 years of experience specializing in family law and divorce litigation, Henny Alexander has built her career focusing on child custody, support and visitation disputes.

Judge, County Criminal Court No. 16

County criminal court at law judges preside over cases less severe than those in district courts. Cases include misdemeanors in which the allowed fine exceeds $500 or county jail time is less than one year, appeals on decisions from municipal and justice of the peace courts and appeals for license reinstatement after driving under the influence.

• Linda Garcia (R)
    • Garcia was a Criminal Court No. 16 judge in 2016. She has over 20 years of legal experience, including as an assistant district attorney and in the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, which makes parole decisions for inmates.
  • Ashley Mayes Guice (D)
    • Guice is a former judge of Harris County Criminal Court at Law 3 and is currently  a staff attorney for county court judges. In 13 years of practice, Guice has worked as a private defense attorney, a prosecutor, a public defender and an appointed judge.

Judge, County Probate Court No. 5

Probate courts oversee the execution of wills and supervise the distribution of property and estates.

• Ray Black Jr. (R)
    • An attorney, Black Jr. has three decades of experience litigating trust, guardianship and estate settlements. He counsels for a private Texas-based firm.
  • Fransheneka ‘Fran’ Watson (D)
    • Watson has practiced law for 15 years, with experience in contracts, consumer law and estate planning. She worked in private practice until 2023, and said she dedicated 30% of her practice to pro bono services.

Justice of the Peace, Precinct 1, Place 1 — UNCONTESTED

Justice of the peace courts can hear misdemeanor criminal cases first when punishment is by fine only. They exclusively hear civil cases over $200 or less and other civil matters over less than $5,000 if not heard exclusively by the district or county court.

• Eric William Carter (D)
    • Carter was first elected to this position in 2016. Prior to being the Justice of the Peace he worked at his family’s firm, The Carter Law Firm, where he represented both plaintiffs and defendants in commercial and business litigation, fraud and negligence, contractual disputes, federal SEC regulations, landlord/tenant actions and more. 

Public Safety

District Attorney

The district attorney is the county’s lead prosecutor, operating the branch that investigates and prosecutes misdemeanor and felony crimes. 

• Dan Simons (R)
    • A former assistant district attorney, Simons had an 84% conviction rate during his tenure. He believes the county needs a “prosecutor, not a politician” and is running on a platform of restoring community trust in the criminal justice system.
  • Sean Teare (D)
    • In March’s Democratic primaries, Teare unseated Kim Ogg in a “blowout loss” for the former district attorney. Last year, Ogg faced criticism for launching criminal investigations into people who “pissed her off” — resulting in no charges, but hundreds of thousands of taxpayer-shouldered legal bills. Teare says he’ll work to bolster transparency and accountability, and is eager to restore trust in the district attorney’s office.

Sheriff

Voters in Harris County will elect a Sheriff for a four year term to head the Harris County Sheriff’s Office. As the highest-ranking law enforcement officer in the county, the sheriff is responsible for operating the Harris County Jail and providing law enforcement services to county residents. 

• Mike Knox (R)
    • Knox is a former city councilor and police officer running to unseat three-term Sheriff Ed Gonzalez. Knox has said he would “prioritize tackling human trafficking/drug smuggling” and increase law enforcement staffing and presence. He would also reinstate the controversial 287(g) program, which would empower sheriff’s deputies to perform immigration enforcement duties normally assigned to federal agencies like ICE. 
  • Ed Gonzalez (D)
    • Former HPD sergeant and incumbent Sheriff Ed Gonzalez is running for a third consecutive term. Gonzalez has pledged that he will continue to advocate for criminal justice reform and accountability, such as requiring body cameras for deputies and jail detention officers and providing support services to incarcerated women. 

Constable, Precinct 1 — UNCONTESTED

Constables are public safety officers whose duties include issuing traffic citations, serving papers such as warrants, subpoenas and temporary restraining orders, and serving as bailiff for Justice of the Peace Court. They also oversee contract deputy arrangements, where neighborhoods pay the county for extra patrols.

• Alan Rosen (D)
    • Rosen is up for reelection in what will be his 12th year as constable. During his first year in office, Rosen required all personnel to attend law enforcement ethics training, created the first Precinct One S.W.A.T.-certified response team and the first Precinct One game room and prostitution task force. However, several current and former deputies filed a federal lawsuit against Rosen and two subordinates in federal court, accusing them of sexual misconduct against female subordinates in 2021. Rosen was eventually dropped from the suit.

Policy

County Attorney

The county attorney represents the county government, flood control district, toll road authority and 9-1-1 emergency network in all civil cases. 

• Jacqueline Lucci Smith (R)
    • Smith is an attorney and former civil court judge. She has previously opposed a pilot $500 basic income program started earlier this year by County Judge Lina Hidalgo as “[the pitfall] of woke agendas and handouts.”
  • Christian D. Menefee (D)
    • Running for a second term, Menefee is the youngest person and Harris County’s first African-American elected to the position. He has waged legal battles for environmental justice and against restrictive voting laws. He most recently filed lawsuits against two gas stations in the Houston area after they were accused of price gouging following Hurricane Beryl.

County Commissioner, Precinct 1

The governing body of each of Texas' 254 counties is Commissioners Court. Each county has five members, consisting of a county judge and four commissioners — together, they manage county budgets, tax rates and infrastructure.

• Gerry Vander-Lyn (R)
    • Vander-Lyn’s platform focuses on issues like public safety, mental health, homelessness and government transparency. She hopes to challenge her opponent’s lengthy tenure in public office.
  • Rodney Ellis (D)
    • Ellis, the incumbent, is running for a third term and is currently the longest-serving commissioner. He previously worked as a state senator and a member of the Houston City Council. As commissioner, Ellis has taken a leading role on issues such as misdemeanor bail reform, criminal justice and equitable allocation of resources.

County Tax Assessor-Collector

The county tax assessor-collector collects and distributes property taxes to local governments, in addition to registering and maintaining voter rolls for the county. They also collect hotel occupancy taxes, perform vehicle registrations and renew liquor licenses in the county. 

• Steve Radack (R)
    • Radack was a county commissioner from Precinct 3 for nearly 30 years. He says he would serve as a check of accountability to the Democrat-led county government and has pledged to increase full-time staffing.
  • Annette Ramirez (D)
    • Ramirez is currently the assistant general counsel for Aldine Independent School District and a first-generation Mexican-American immigrant. She has pledged to work with officials to establish county online voter registration, upgrade and maintain technology, and increase access to resources that help homeowners deal with difficult property tax burdens. 

Railroad Commissioner 

The railroad commission is a three-person regulatory agency that oversees Texas’s oil and gas industry. One seat on the commission is up for election this cycle.

• Christi Craddick (R)
    • Craddick, the incumbent, is the current chair and has served on the commission since 2012. She is a former attorney from Midland who is critical of progressive policies that undermine the economic success of the state’s oil and gas industry. Craddick advocates for private property rights, limited government regulation and investment in new technology within the oil and gas field.
  • Katherine Culbert (D)
    • Culbert is a process safety engineer and small business leader whose top priorities are enhancing safety protocols, holding corporations responsible for orphan wells and greater transparency and accountability in the commission. Culbert also has experience as a delegate for the League of Women Voters and advocates for policies to mitigate climate change.
  • Hawk Dunlap (L)
    • Dunlap has 30 years of experience in the oil and gas industry, including well control, drilling and risk management. His priorities include preventing groundwater contamination by plugging wells effectively, stricter regulations and increased accountability.
  • Eddie Espinoza (G)
    • Espinoza is a U.S. army veteran and public school teacher. As the Green Party candidate, he prioritizes environmental and public health policies. If elected, he would work to phase out the fossil fuel industry, protect freshwater resources, lower energy costs for all Texans and reform campaign financing regulations for railroad commissioners.

Education

County School Trustee, Position 3, At Large

The Board of Trustees develops and votes on policies regarding the Harris County Department of Education. The Department of Education supports school districts in Harris County by providing school supplies, therapy and other services.

• Danielle Dick (R)
    • If elected, Dick would increase funding for under-resourced schools and integrate mental health services. Her spouse, Eric Dick — an insurance attorney known for billboards featuring slogans like “Hire a Dick” —  is an incumbent board trustee. Earlier this year, he was fined $250,000 for mishandling lawsuits as an attorney as well as $40,000 for incorrect campaign finance filings while running for local offices. 
  • Richard Cantu (D)
    • Cantu has over 30 years of public service experience managing economic development and public safety. His platform prioritizes mental health support, youth outreach and gun violence reduction — informed largely by his daughter, Aleksis, who died in a shooting three years ago.

County School Trustee, Position 6, Precinct 1— UNCONTESTED

• John Fitzgerald McGee (D)
    • McGee currently works in Houston’s housing and community development department after 33 years in public service. He was the assistant budget director for the Texas Education Agency and has worked in Spring Branch and Houston ISD financial administration. He believes in transparent budget management.

Member, State Board of Education, District 4— UNCONTESTED

The State Board of Education oversees public education in Texas, including setting curriculum and graduation standards and reviewing instructional materials such as textbooks.

• Staci Childs (D)
    • Childs is running unopposed for reelection. She has six years of teaching experience, 11 years of educational experience and owns a legal practice specializing in family law. Childs has also developed educational content on diversity and history for elementary school students.

Propositions

HARRIS COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL DISTRICT PROPOSITION A

• Prop A aims to increase investment in Harris County’s flood control infrastructure.
  • Voting for would provide funding for infrastructure repairs to Harris County’s drainage channels, including sediment removal, erosion repairs and concrete replacements.
  • The proposition would give an additional $100 million to the Flood Control District for maintenance, for a total maintenance budget of $241 million.
  • Taxes would increase by around $44 each year for the owner of a $274,000 home with a 20% homestead exemption.

HOUSTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT, PROPOSITION A

Writing: Spring

• Voting yes on this bond proposal, split into two parts, would allocate a total $4.4 billion in bonds to HISD as part of a property tax increase. Proposition A advocates for $3.96 billion toward infrastructure upgrades. 
  • This bond proposal is universally contested, facing criticism from both Democrats and Republicans alike. The Houston Chronicle’s Editorial Board has urged voters to select ‘no.’ 
  • While many agree on the importance of funding public education, many have also lost trust in state-appointed superintendent Mike Miles amid allegations of financial mismanagement. Simply put, taxpayers, teachers, parents and voters all share one concern: They don’t trust the man, someone “wholly unaccountable to the community he serves,” to use the money wisely.

HOUSTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT, PROPOSITION B

Writing: Arman

• HISD’s bond proposal has been split into two packages, one for approximately $4 billion and the other for approximately $400 million. Proposition B would redirect the some $400 million toward technology upgrades in the district.
  • The opinions, however, stay consistent across both propositions. Proponents believe that improvement to HISD’s infrastructure is needed desperately, while critics from across the political spectrum display a lack of trust in HISD superintendent Mike Miles’ ability to allocate the bond money effectively.

Candidates comment on Harris County hot-button issues

Students registered in Harris County this year will vote in dozens of national, state and local races. While races for local and state elected officials see lower turnout than presidential elections, these candidates will be making decisions with local impact on the Rice community. 

Remembering Kathryn Petree

McMurtry College sophomore Kathryn Petree passed away due to cancer complications last Saturday, Oct. 12. Kathryn matriculated a semester late to complete chemotherapy treatments, but those close to her say she left a mark on everyone in her time at Rice. Above all else, she is survived by memories of her incredible generosity and optimism.