Sunday, October 06, 2024 — Houston, TX

A beginner’s guide to the Austin City Limits music festival

acl-vivian-lang
Vivian Lang / Thresher

By Arman Saxena and Juliana Lightsey     10/1/24 11:02pm

Want to hear “Good Luck, Babe!,” “See You Again” and “Don’t Start Now” performed live at energetic concerts in the same weekend? At this year’s Austin City Limits you can check out the artists behind those iconic tracks and so many more including Reneé Rapp, Chris Stapleton and The Marías. Whether you’re venturing out to Austin’s Zilker Park this weekend or the next, here’s a helpful guide to survive the biggest music festival in Texas. 

Survival tips and must-haves

Packing essentials include sunscreen, a reusable water bottle, a portable phone charger and comfortable shoes for a day of standing and walking. A light jacket or poncho is also advisable for unexpected rain showers. 

Be aware – all bags must be smaller than ​​12” x 6” x 12”, and those bigger than 6” x 9” must be clear. Hydration packs or vests are also a festival staple, although all packs and water bottles must be empty upon entry to the festival (and can be filled at water stations once inside).

ACL is notorious for the festival fashion it evokes in attendees, but while you’re keeping your Instagram fit check in mind, also remember to dress for the warm weather and long hours of standing. Comfortable shoes are strongly recommended, especially if you’re attending for an entire weekend. Light or breathable clothing will also come in handy in the crowded venues.

Many neighborhoods near Zilker Park are very walkable, allowing you to explore the area on foot. In lieu of walkability, public transportation options like CapMetro buses and the CapMetro Rail are convenient ways to reach the festival. Ride-sharing and motorized bikes and scooter services are also readily available, though they may experience high demand during peak times.

Once you’re at ACL, get ready for the litany of wonderful acts on display. Artists like Dua Lipa, Tyler, the Creator and Chappell Roan will receive a lot of buzz, but here are some other artists, all with under a million monthly listeners on Spotify, that you should check out while you’re in Zilker Park.

Mannequin Pussy

A band that feels like the child of Sleater-Kinney and Jeff Rosenstock, Mannequin Pussy blends the raw femininity of the former with the anthemic pop punk energy of the latter to create a rebellious sound that rejects easy categorization. With four albums under their belt, Mannequin Pussy has a strong catalog of noisy, passionate indie punk that is sure to rock the ACL stage. Check out their most recent album “I Got Heaven” and their breakout project “Romantic” to get a sense of the diversity of their work. 

St. Lucia

If you’re a fan of early 2010s indie pop reminiscent of The 1975, Future Islands, The Drums, or Chairlift, you would love St. Lucia. A husband and wife duo hailing from Johannesburg, South Africa, St. Lucia’s sound is a mix of groovy ’80s synthpop with a modern feel. Check out “Elevate”; it’s one of their most popular songs and this uplifting summer indie anthem is a great taste of what the duo has to offer.

Empress Of

Shygirl, Allie X, Rina Sawayama, Caroline Polachek and Carly Rae Jepsen. What do they have in common, other than being some of the biggest names in contemporary alternative dance-pop? They have all worked with Honduran American singer, songwriter, and producer Empress Of. 

Emily Nenni

No list of artists at Austin City Limits can go without a country artist, and Emily Nenni is one of the best under-the-radar country artists on the scene today. With a voice that captures the heartache and resilience of classic country, Nenni brings a fresh yet timeless sound to the genre. Her storytelling prowess and soulful melodies are showcased beautifully in her album “On the Ranch.” For a taste of her authentic country charm, check out tracks like “Get To Know Ya” and “In the Mornin’.” Nenni’s music is perfect for anyone looking to experience the raw, emotional depth of country music at its finest.

Glass Beams

Merging Hindustani classical instrumentation with kaleidoscopic soundscapes like something one would hear traversing Australia’s Great Victoria Desert, Indian-Australian multi-instrumentalist Rajan Silva brings together sitars and psychedelic rock with Glass Beams. An instrumental band, Glass Beams don’t need vocals to deliver what are bound to be some of the vibes in Austin this weekend. Check out the band’s EPs “Mirage” and “Mahal” to get a sense of the group’s otherworldly and mysterious psychedelia. 

New art opens behind Brochstein’s closed doors

The morning after a terrible storm, inspiration struck Karyn Olivier on her commute to work. In a North Philadelphia neighborhood she had driven through countless times before, a huge swath of vines and ivy had been peeled off of a concrete wall by the rain and wind, crumpling forlornly over an adjacent fence. Olivier stopped her car and took a photograph. 

Senior Spotlight: Abdullah Jahangir captures home and belonging

Through Abdullah Jahangir’s camera lens, a photo isn’t just a still image — it’s a moment in time, dynamic and emotional. Working with film in his freshman photography class prompted him to consider photography as more than just snapshots, but rather a form of self-expression and exploration. 

Review: Duck n Bao doesn't disappoint

A gloomy peace this midterm season with it brings; this campus, for sorrow or joy, is flooded once more with tears. Whether tears of happiness or despair, you, my compatriots, deserve a reward for making it through yet another challenge in your academic career. Duck N Bao, a Chinese restaurant located in Rice Village, is perfect for such an occasion, I do declare.