Wednesday, October 09, 2024 — Houston, TX

Beats and bonds: A cappella groups welcome new owls

a-cappella-hai-van-hoang
Hai-Van Hoang / Thresher

By Nandini Dasari     10/8/24 10:43pm

Here’s an interesting challenge: create a full production, complete with percussion, multiple voice parts and a set list of several songs. The catch? Your voice is the only instrument allowed.

Members of the six a cappella groups at Rice aim to rise to this very challenge. Basmati Beats specializes in South Asian melodies, performing in front of  audiences in the Rice community and beyond. 

Pratyush Mohapatra, the music director of Basmati Beats, said he was initially interested in joining due to the group’s diversity in music. 

“I wanted to try something new. Part of that was getting in touch with my [South Asian] culture through music … and getting to know a group of people who also had that appreciation,” said Mohapatra, a Sid Richardson College senior.

Basmati Beats combines songs in South Asian languages such as Hindi, Telugu, Tamil and Malayalam with music in English. 

“You mash the two songs together and you create this new arrangement with elements of both songs in them,” Mohapatra said.

Throughout the school year, Basmati Beats arranges a number of performances at a Carnatic music festival, open mic night, Acappellooza and a joint benefit concert hosted with Nocturnal. The group also travels for competitions at universities such as the University of Texas at Austin, University of Southern California and University of California at Los Angeles. 

“We get to travel every year and make memories on those trips … I think that is a lot of fun and a huge part of why ‘BB’ is one of the best groups to be a part of on campus,” Mohapatra said.

As the only group on campus to enter the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella, Philharmonics members regularly compete. Rehearsal schedules include five practice hours a week and an additional two to three hours for upcoming performances.

“Everyone’s constantly making jokes, everyone’s constantly making each other laugh. It’s a super fun atmosphere. But, when it’s time to sing, [we flip] the switch and [we’re] really good at what [we] do … I really like that distinction that [we make],” said Kairi Mano, the Philharmonics recording manager.

When they’re not competing, the Philharmonics perform at the POST Houston, Acappellooza, Moody Fest and seasonal Christmas concerts. The Philharmonics sing in a variety of styles including pop, indie pop and R&B.

“Our recent set list includes Hozier’s ‘Too Sweet’ [and] ‘Erase Me’ by Lizzie McAlpine … We’re looking to do ‘Die With a Smile’ by Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars. I don’t know if we really stick to a specific genre,” Mano, a Lovett College sophomore, said.

Unlike other a cappella groups at Rice, Nocturnal chooses not to compete. Nocturnal’s events include a fall benefit performance, winter study break concert, senior send-off, Acappellooza and After Dark in Pub.

“It’s something that I think sets us apart because we just want to have fun singing with our friends and not worry about the stress that comes with competition,” said Claire Dean, Nocturnal’s music director.

Most of Nocturnal’s musical repertoire, including songs by Radiohead and Paramore this fall, are classified as indie pop, alternative rock, or R&B. Dean said Nocturnal doesn’t specialize in a particular musical genre, and song choices change year to year as member feedback is continuously incorporated in the setlist.

“I [like] how many songs the group performs. Because we don’t compete, we’re able to do more songs throughout the year and just have more variety which is fun,” said Dean, a Lovett College senior.

Dean said the only requirement for membership in Nocturnal is a passion for singing.

“I personally didn’t have any musical background coming in, so that was something I was really nervous about. I didn’t know how to read music, and now I’m the music director. There’s no barrier of entry musically wise,” Dean said.

With travel and multiple rehearsals, Basmati Beats members spend hours together. To facilitate camaraderie between members, Mohapatra said he emphasizes bonding activities such as off-campus hangouts, big-littles and group chants.

“It’s just the little things that seem cringe but actually go a long way towards promoting the feeling like you’re part of a group,” Mohapatra said.

Nocturnal traditions include the so-called “Nocty classics,” songs that have circulated within the group since its inception.  

“We have a song that we’ll sing every fall and if there’s any alumni in the crowd that know the song, they can come up and sing with us, which is really cool,” Dean said.

Philharmonics has many established customs for members, including the decoration of the money bucket that is passed around during concerts for fundraising purposes. Each year, new Philharmonics members decorate their fundraising money bucket in whatever way they choose. Other traditions include musical ones. 

“There’s one song that we’ve been singing forever, and that’s Africa by Toto. I don’t know how far back it goes, but there’s videos from 2010 and way before that on YouTube. It’s a song we still sing today and it's basically the same arrangement,” Mano said.

Mano said that Philharmonics aim to emphasize the positivity of music to others, using their performances as a way to de-stress busy students and spread cheer during the holidays. 

“Last year when we went to the Post, there was this college student that goes to a different school. He came up to us after the concert and told us how he was a big fan of the Phils and he followed us on our social media pages. And those interactions come really few and far between but when they do happen, it's something that I really enjoy,” Mano said.

Basmati Beats conducted tryouts in two rounds, with both auditions and callbacks requiring that prospective members prepare a song of their choice. Oliver Zhu, one of five students recruited to Basmati Beats this year, said  he found the audition process to be initially nerve-wracking but gratifying overall.

“Going in was slightly intimidating singing my solo in front of all of Basmati Beats at a table,” Zhu, a Duncan College freshman, wrote in a message to the Thresher. “But when I let go and stopped thinking about it, I think the music just started flowing,” 

Zhu, who was formally instructed in the piano and trombone and is a self-taught guitarist, said he hopes to use his diverse musical background to both contribute to the group’s goals and explore his own interests.

“I’m also big into composition and music theory, which I think helps me with Basmati Beats, because they let me have some latitude in adjusting my part where I can use those skills,” Zhu wrote.

Zhu said he was originally hesitant in following through with his Basmati Beats audition due to a lack of confidence in his singing ability. 

“It’s always been my dream to be in an a cappella group, but I’ve always just appreciated them through a screen. I hope that Basmati Beats can add this key experience to my musical journey and allow me to explore my dream,” Zhu wrote.

Cedric Lau, one of Nocturnal’s new recruits this year, said the group’s variety in musical style drew his attention. 

“Nocturnal has such a diverse array of music, which means there’s lots of opportunities to arrange stuff. I love to arrange music. I did it in high school for my other groups. And so I was really looking forward to playing around with different pieces, different styles,” Lau, a Duncan College freshman, said.

Ella Martinez, one of Philharmonics’ newest members, auditioned for a few other a cappella groups before deciding on Philharmonics. Martinez said that the group’s tryout process was unlike others in that it provided the same solo for all auditionees to rehearse and perform.

“It was somewhat helpful to have a solo already picked for me, because sometimes you can have an audition derailed just because you chose a bad song. So it was really helpful to learn what [Philharmonics] expects from solo performances and being able to apply that,” Martinez, a Lovett College freshman, said.

Lau also auditioned for multiple a cappella groups on campus. He described his experience as overall positive, highlighting how all the groups, including Nocturnal, tried to foster a comfortable atmosphere during the audition process.

“They were so nice to you, so sweet, so supportive of your singing. And when you’re performing your audition or solo cover, it doesn’t really feel like they're judging you at all,” Lau said.

Go outside, touch grass

Have you asked yourself, “How many more buildings can Rice construct before losing its classification as an arboretum?” Have you thought that the campus squirrels are a little too bold around humans? If you’re sick of constant construction marring the on-campus flora and fauna, Houston has plenty of student-friendly destinations to get your fix of green. 

From Scratch to Sups, Samir Walji innovates

When Samir Walji first started coding Scratch games in middle school, he never imagined he’d run a startup used by students in over 138 countries one day. Now studying computer science at Rice, Walji has turned his passion for building things into Sups, an award-winning, AI-powered college application platform.