Wednesday, October 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

Faith Hutchins makes her mark during final season

By Ana Rivera     10/22/24 11:44pm

Faith Hutchins, Rice soccer’s graduate goalkeeper, said that she has built her success around one key philosophy: Pressure is a privilege. It’s a mindset that has driven her through a standout season for the Owls. 

“It is clear that Faith has worked so hard in her playing career to get herself to where she is,” Bella Killgore ‘22, former Rice goalkeeper, said. “She has a great mindset, self-awareness and work ethic. Faith gets better every time she trains, and that is really due to the mentality that she has had since the day she stepped here on campus.”

As a visiting student from the University of Rhode Island, Hutchins said she stepped into a crucial role at Rice, determined to make every moment count in her fifth year as a collegiate soccer player. 

“This is my last collegiate season, so I want to make the most of it,” Hutchins said. “I didn’t come this far to slack off now.”

Hutchins’s transition to Rice wasn’t just about adapting to a new level of competition — it was also about growing personally. Having spent her entire life close to home in Rhode Island, Hutchins was now navigating being far from her loved ones and familiar surroundings.

“Being away from my family was a huge adjustment,” Hutchins said. “But I was ready to branch out and see what I could do — not just on the field, but as a person.” 

On the field, Hutchins has quickly established herself as a vital part of Rice’s defense. With 75 saves and seven shutouts this season, she has anchored the team’s backline with composure and focus. 

“When you’re in goal, every second counts,” Hutchins said. “It’s a tough position, but I take pride in being the last line of defense.”

One of the key factors in her development has been her work with Killgore, a goalkeeper coach and former player who excelled in the position, boasting 399 career saves and 31 shutouts across five seasons. 

Killgore’s experience as a standout goalkeeper has given her unique insights that have shaped Hutchins’s approach, she said.

“Bella has been a huge influence on me,” Hutchins said. “She knows how to push me in ways that get the best out of me, and I trust her completely.” 

Killgore’s mentorship has extended beyond technique, helping Hutchins manage the mental side of the game. 

“I tend to overthink after games — like I could’ve done this better or that better,” Hutchins said. “Bella always reminds me, ‘As long as the ball doesn’t go in the net, you’ve done your job.’ That helps me stay focused and not dwell on mistakes.”

Building trust with her teammates, particularly the defensive line, has been essential to Hutchins’s success, Killgore said. 

“Faith is a great communicator and takes pride in organizing the defense to limit the other team’s chances,” Killgore said. “When a goalkeeper has little to do in a game, we consider that a great game; that means you’ve done a great job communicating and organizing.”

Hutchins credits the team’s strong chemistry for much of their success this season. 

“I’ve never been on a team with this kind of culture,” Hutchins said. “Everyone knows their role, and we push each other every day. It’s a great environment to be in because we all know we have each other’s backs.” 

With only a few games left in the regular season, Hutchins and her teammates are focused on finishing strong. 

“These last games are crucial for us,” Hutchins said. “We’ve worked all season for this, and now it’s about staying sharp and not letting anything slip.”

As the postseason approaches, Hutchins is determined to remain consistent and reliable. Rice, boasting a 5-1-1 record in the AAC and 11-2-2 overall, now prepares for a pivotal matchup against The University of Memphis this Thursday. 

“I can’t afford to have an off day,” Hutchins said. “I need to be locked in for all 90 minutes because my team is counting on me.”

For Hutchins, the season isn’t just about her statistics — it’s about proving what she can achieve under pressure. 

“Pressure, to me, means opportunity,” Hutchins said. “I want to walk away from this season knowing I gave everything I had for my team.”