Wednesday, October 09, 2024 — Houston, TX

Go outside, touch grass

nature-spots-william-liu
William Liu / Thresher

By Amelia Davis     10/8/24 10:45pm

Have you asked yourself, “How many more buildings can Rice construct before losing its classification as an arboretum?” Have you thought that the campus squirrels are a little too bold around humans? If you’re sick of constant construction marring the on-campus flora and fauna, Houston has plenty of student-friendly destinations to get your fix of green. 

Hermann Park 

Only a 10-minute walk away, Hermann Park’s offerings range from the perfectly kept Japanese Gardens, with wild-ranging ducks, to plenty of photo opportunities at the Memorial Obelisk. There is also plenty of open space for a picnic, or on a cool day, to study outside and get your fill of Vitamin D before exam season. A notable spot is the hill at Miller Theatre, the open-air amphitheater. Bring a blanket and some snacks.

Houston Arboretum

Though the arboretum isn’t too walkable, it is only 10 minutes away by car, and also within reach using Metro bus 84 (Northwest TC Northbound). It’s shady and peaceful, even on a hot and sunny day, and perfect for someone seeking a longer walk and more of a retreat. It boasts numerous trail options and boardwalks over Houston’s signature wetlands. 

Memorial Park 

This option is one of the most popular (and most extensive) offerings: a trail network and natural conservancy in Houston with over 30 miles of trails, right next to the Arboretum. Though it is popular for tourists and locals alike, there are plenty of forest trails for hiking, dog-walking and running to share comfortably. It also has six miles of biking trail, both mountain and recreational. If your bike is feeling neglected  or you’re tired of Beer Bikers hogging the road, this might be a place to break in your wheels. 

Houston Botanic Garden

The botanic garden is a little harder to access, being 15 minutes away by car. However, its convenient location near Hobby Airport makes it a better option for when family is in town, if you are picking someone up. It does offer very little shade coverage, so go on a cloudy day. Unlike the other options, it does require an entrance fee of $8 on weekdays or $10 on weekends with Rice ID.  

State parks

Unsatisfied with these options? There are no shortage of state parks in Houston and the surrounding area. If you're looking to drive more than an hour away or to camp overnight, Brazos Bend State Park is a great spot and provides stunning views of Houston’s natural marshes and wildlife — especially alligators. They also have an observatory run by the Houston Museum of Natural Science that does public star viewing events on Saturday nights, which could make for a fantastic date night or a life-changing solo experience.

If you’re interested in water-based activities, at Huntsville Park you can rent a canoe or kayak to explore the waterways, and Lake Houston Wilderness Park is one of the parks closest to Houston for camping and trails with a view of the water.

Perhaps you’re more familiar with the concrete than the jungle? If you’re a little wary of camping and outdoor activities, Rice offers adventure trips through the recreation center.  These trips can be a great introduction to hiking, kayaking, and overnight camping without the entry cost of buying gear — and risking significantly less danger of being eaten by a large carnivore, since you’re with a guide. You can also rent your own gear from the recreation center and go it alone, if you’re brave. 

From Scratch to Sups, Samir Walji innovates

When Samir Walji first started coding Scratch games in middle school, he never imagined he’d run a startup used by students in over 138 countries one day. Now studying computer science at Rice, Walji has turned his passion for building things into Sups, an award-winning, AI-powered college application platform.