Wednesday, October 02, 2024 — Houston, TX

Explore hidden architecture gems on campus

By Sarah Motteler     10/1/24 11:05pm

Rice’s campus is home to many notable works of architecture, from the classic Sewall Hall to the state-of-the-art O’Connor Engineering Building. However, there are still diamonds in the rough that have yet to be discovered by the wider population of the university. Provided below are a handful of lesser-known architectural wonders located within the hedges.

Brockman Hall for Opera

The Brockman Hall for Opera is located at the west end of the inner loop across from the Shepherd School of Music’s Alice Pratt Brown Hall. The main attraction of the 84,000-square-foot building is the Morrison Theater; with 600 seats and a full orchestra pit, it was designed to be smaller than the average theater, so that younger singers wouldn’t need to overextend themselves to project to the whole room. The wonders aren’t just confined to the interior: inspired by the historic European opera houses, like the Royal Opera of Versailles in France, the hall’s facade was constructed with over half a million bricks and 12,810 cubic feet of cast stone. Visit anytime to marvel at the various patterns formed by the bricks and elegant arches of the entrances and windows, or attend one of the hall’s performances to enjoy the acoustics of the Morrison Theater.

Ray Courtyard

While the Rice Memorial Center is one of the most frequented buildings on campus, it’s not one of the most mentioned when it comes to architectural beauty. However, it would be a disservice to leave Ray Courtyard, the site of many outdoor study sessions and fundraiser sales, off of this list. Rice’s signature combination of red brick and whitish stone is on display, complemented by occasional decorative tiling. The space expertly blends natural and man-made elements, with the curving branches of magnificent live oaks echoed in the arches of the covered walkways.

Hanszen and Will Rice Magister’s Houses

The Hanszen and Will Rice Colleges’ magister’s houses are near mirror images of one another across the Grove, with Hanszen’s located next to the Rice Multicultural Center and Will Rice’s located next to Baker College’s magister house. Although the houses are constructed of bricks like many of Rice’s older buildings, the style is decidedly more modern, eschewing smooth curves for right angles. The houses share the traditional brick courtyard walls of their older neighbors, creating a sense of unity despite the differing architectural styles.

Maxfield Hall

Formerly known as the Mech Lab, Maxfield Hall was constructed in 1912, making it one of the first buildings on Rice’s campus. The structure was renovated in 2021, which added additional classrooms and meeting spaces as well as wheelchair accessibility, LED lighting and modern HVAC and electrical, all while keeping the original exterior largely unchanged. Maxfield Hall’s charming pantile roofing and stately arched windows are enhanced by the neighboring 45°, 90°, 180° sculptures, which match in color scheme but contrast in form.

Rice Memorial Chapel

The Rice Memorial Chapel is located adjacent to Ray Courtyard opposite the Grand Hall, and serves as a nondenominational place of worship and venue for events ranging from weddings to acapella concerts. With its elegant stained glass and stunning mosaic work both inside and outside, the chapel is one of the most beautiful spots on campus. Visit the chapel to take part in the religious services hosted there, or just stop by anytime to enjoy the quiet and get away from the business of Rice.

New art opens behind Brochstein’s closed doors

The morning after a terrible storm, inspiration struck Karyn Olivier on her commute to work. In a North Philadelphia neighborhood she had driven through countless times before, a huge swath of vines and ivy had been peeled off of a concrete wall by the rain and wind, crumpling forlornly over an adjacent fence. Olivier stopped her car and took a photograph. 

Senior Spotlight: Abdullah Jahangir captures home and belonging

Through Abdullah Jahangir’s camera lens, a photo isn’t just a still image — it’s a moment in time, dynamic and emotional. Working with film in his freshman photography class prompted him to consider photography as more than just snapshots, but rather a form of self-expression and exploration. 

Review: Duck n Bao doesn't disappoint

A gloomy peace this midterm season with it brings; this campus, for sorrow or joy, is flooded once more with tears. Whether tears of happiness or despair, you, my compatriots, deserve a reward for making it through yet another challenge in your academic career. Duck N Bao, a Chinese restaurant located in Rice Village, is perfect for such an occasion, I do declare.