Saturday, October 05, 2024 — Houston, TX

‘Layers of complexity’: SPAN 406 explores Latin American cinema

span-406-courtesy-jose-negroni-cicerchia
Negroni poses with his Spring 2024 section of SPAN 406, which allows students to practice their Spanish skills while exploring film. Courtesy José Negroni Cicerchia

By Angelica Hernandez     10/1/24 10:59pm

Latine Heritage month is in full swing, highlighting Latin American culture and contributions — but one class at Rice isn’t limiting its celebrations to just one month. In SPAN 406: Latin American Cinema, students engage with Hispanic culture through cinema, saying they gain important insights as they do.

The class, taught by modern literature professor José Negroni Cicerchia, introduces students to movies from the 20th and early 21st centuries and explores their political and cultural context. Students can practice their Spanish language skills while learning about Latin American culture and politics, Negroni said. He has two simple goals for his students: to think critically and to grow as people.

“I want them to be better human beings, courageous, sympathetic and love life more. These films shine a light on the varieties of human experience,” Negroni said. 

Latin American cinema is distinct from the Hollywood films that have flooded both American, and Latin American screens for years, Negroni said. The class focuses on releases from the 1960s to the present, an era of widespread development in the Latin American movie industry. 

“American films are commercially oriented with some exceptions, whereas Latin American films tend to be more artistic-minded,” Negroni said. 

Throughout the semester, students watch movies diverse in location and theme. Some are comedic, while others reflect on political and cultural upheaval. 

“What’s cool is like you learn about politics, film and the messages behind these films … while also learning them through his personal anecdotes,” Steven Burgess, a Duncan College sophomore, said. Editor’s Note: Steven Burgess is the Thresher’s video editor.

Abhi Jain, a McMurtry College junior, said his time in the class was rewarding. 

“I gained more of an appreciation for creative works, and the importance of analyzing them with social and political context,” Jain said. “A plot summary does not do justice to the layers of complexity of the films in this class.”

Some of the films explored in past sections of the course include “Y tu mama tambien,” “El Visitante” and “City of God.” Negroni uses his experience in the Latin American film industry to contextualize the movies in his class. 

Additionally, students are encouraged to discuss their impressions of the films, and learn about the world that inspired them, Negroni said. He also tries to connect students to the context and creation of these movies — both at the cultural and individual level. For example, his students met the director of one of the films assigned in the course, “El Visitante.”  

“The opportunity to hear directly from the source about his film, all initiated and organized by [Negroni], was incredibly enriching, and it portrayed [his] genuine enthusiasm and dedication that he brings to his work, both in and out of the class,” Jain said. 

Negroni hopes students walk out of the course with a better understanding of Latin American culture and history, as well as the ability to analyze films in a cultural context. Simultaneously, Negroni wants to share the positive impact that Latin American cinema has had on him, he said.

“The art has uplifted,  inspired and made me look at things in creative ways and I want to impart that to others,” Negroni said. 

New art opens behind Brochstein’s closed doors

The morning after a terrible storm, inspiration struck Karyn Olivier on her commute to work. In a North Philadelphia neighborhood she had driven through countless times before, a huge swath of vines and ivy had been peeled off of a concrete wall by the rain and wind, crumpling forlornly over an adjacent fence. Olivier stopped her car and took a photograph. 

Senior Spotlight: Abdullah Jahangir captures home and belonging

Through Abdullah Jahangir’s camera lens, a photo isn’t just a still image — it’s a moment in time, dynamic and emotional. Working with film in his freshman photography class prompted him to consider photography as more than just snapshots, but rather a form of self-expression and exploration. 

Review: Duck n Bao doesn't disappoint

A gloomy peace this midterm season with it brings; this campus, for sorrow or joy, is flooded once more with tears. Whether tears of happiness or despair, you, my compatriots, deserve a reward for making it through yet another challenge in your academic career. Duck N Bao, a Chinese restaurant located in Rice Village, is perfect for such an occasion, I do declare.