Wednesday, October 02, 2024 — Houston, TX

Owls in Recovery creates a safe space for students

addiction-support-group-ndidi-nwosu
Ndidi Nwosu / Thresher

By Sarah Knowlton     10/1/24 10:38pm

Owls in Recovery, an addiction support group for Rice students, began holding meetings this semester. Erin Timmerberg, the group’s advisor, said that OIR was created due to changes in the university’s alcohol policy.

“After collaborating closely with APAC, their recommendations inspired the creation of a new role within [the Wellbeing and Counseling Center], dedicated to establishing a program that offers a safe space for students interested in recovery and substance-free events,” Timmerberg wrote in an email to the Thresher. “I was hired in the summer to spearhead a program, which is now Owls in Recovery.”

APAC recommended that Wellbeing hire a new advisor to “contribute significantly to the comprehensive alcohol-related presentation material and serve as a tremendous resource for the community” in its final report issued March 2024.  The program will work in conjunction with some of APAC’s recommendations, such as performing mandatory assessments on students medically transported due to excessive drinking.

APAC recommended that Wellbeing “resume the Substance Use Task Force and review current substance use educational needs and resources on campus.” Timmerberg also advises this task force, which she said is focused on advocacy for cultural and political change rather than individual support. 

Timmerberg said that she was personally drawn to the job because of her own experiences with addiction and recovery.

“I’ve seen firsthand the negative effects of addiction, and I recognize that addressing it is complex and requires a multifaceted approach,” Timmerberg wrote. “I have been involved in the substance use treatment community for over six years, beginning as a student in a collegiate recovery program. Experiencing the profound, long-term impact of that resource not only on my life but others around me was truly transformative.”

Although OIR is focused on Rice students, Timmerberg said that the group has already seen some external interest and hopes to connect with other individuals and resources focused on recovery.

“I believe that making students feel heard and understood — particularly those facing challenges related to substance use — is critical to their overall success and well-being,” Timmerberg wrote. “We’ve also had interest from department leaders and outside collegiate recovery programs who are eager to learn more about our vision and how we can best serve Rice students. As our group continues to grow, I see tremendous opportunities for collaboration and shared learning.”

While a number of students have already begun attending group meetings, Timmerberg said that OIR must still battle stigma against those struggling with addiction.

“Systemically, there are many barriers to accessible treatment and support, which can make it difficult for people to openly discuss their struggles,” Timmerberg wrote. “By fostering a compassionate, non-judgmental environment, we aim to create a space where students feel safe exploring the support options that best suit them.”

Rice launches 10-year strategic plan

The university launched a new strategic plan that will develop investments in research and teaching over the next decade. The plan, titled “Momentous,” was announced at an Oct. 1 event. 

Sophomores debut AI nutrition app Diagnos

Diagnos, an AI-backed nutrition-tracking app, launched in the Apple app store Sept. 24. The app, designed by Ifty Ahmed and Thun Silpsamrit, provides AI-based calorie and nutritional estimates based on users’ pictures of their food. The app also provides nutritional estimates of food on servery menus.