Wednesday, October 02, 2024 — Houston, TX

Review: Duck n Bao doesn't disappoint

By Hamza Saeed     10/1/24 11:07pm

Rating: ★★★★

A gloomy peace this midterm season with it brings; this campus, for sorrow or joy, is flooded once more with tears. Whether tears of happiness or despair, you, my compatriots, deserve a reward for making it through yet another challenge in your academic career. Duck N Bao, a Chinese restaurant located in Rice Village, is perfect for such an occasion, I do declare. 

Intricate, yet not indulgent. Elegant, but not eccentric. Duck N Bao has a vision in mind, first formed and put in motion by its founders, Grace and Leo Xia, at their Memorial location in 2021. The Rice Village expansion seeks to display their Sichuan specialities to a larger audience. 

Upon entering, you are graced with a full service bar (which I, full disclosure, did not partake in). The semi-open concept dining room straddles the thin line between fine dining and a contemporary casual establishment. Although the density and choice of decor is reasonable, the lack of a consistent design accent, coupled with questionable cleanliness in certain spots, leaves some to be desired. Still, I appreciated the choice of lighting and the seating arrangement, the odd table with an extensive metal base aside. 

My excellent servicing began with a cup of jasmine tea, served in a humble wooden cup from a sophisticated teapot. I would highly recommend the jasmine tea as a complement to your meal. This delicate, light and smooth beverage enhances your senses while simultaneously putting one at ease. It provided me with a mental reset after every few bites, allowing me to maintain appreciation for the carefully crafted flavors. 

I then chose to partake in the honey walnut with jumbo shrimp, alongside with the fried cheese puffs with real crab meat”. 

The cheese puffs were delectable. This simple presentation of 4 puffs, served alongside a house-made sweet and sour sauce, was simply splendid. As much as I would enjoy going off on a tangent about how most modern sweet-and-sour sauces have both the viscosity and flavor profile of molasses, the primary takeaway I have for you is that the sauce pairs well with the crispy puffs. The filling to phyllo ratio is perfectly acceptable, even if the amount of crab meat was a bit lacking. 

When I inquired regarding the restaurant’s signature shrimp dish, my suave, debonair waiter recommended that I experience the “Honey Walnut with Jumbo Shrimp”. My initial mixed feelings upon the arrival of this dish took me quite a while to reconcile, but upon reflection, I would say that I remember the dish with sanguinity. 

A hefty portion of shrimp sees the addition of fresh, crispy walnuts and broccoli. “Jumbo” was a bit of a misnomer, although I leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine if size matters. The sauce was the most intriguing aspect I encountered - I played with it on my tongue, rolled it around in my mouth, and to be quite honest with you, I want to dive right back in. It was rich and creamy, maybe even overwhelming, but most certainly flamboyant. 

Unfortunately, the price point of my meal renders Duck N Bao something closer to a treat than a go-to spot. Even so, a slight lack of attention to detail in regards to aspects such as the cutlery, cleanliness and dish presentation forcefully restrain me from immediately recommending Duck N Bao as a first date spot. Excellent service and flavors, though, do merit a recommendation of this kitchen to all academics on campus. 

New art opens behind Brochstein’s closed doors

The morning after a terrible storm, inspiration struck Karyn Olivier on her commute to work. In a North Philadelphia neighborhood she had driven through countless times before, a huge swath of vines and ivy had been peeled off of a concrete wall by the rain and wind, crumpling forlornly over an adjacent fence. Olivier stopped her car and took a photograph. 

Senior Spotlight: Abdullah Jahangir captures home and belonging

Through Abdullah Jahangir’s camera lens, a photo isn’t just a still image — it’s a moment in time, dynamic and emotional. Working with film in his freshman photography class prompted him to consider photography as more than just snapshots, but rather a form of self-expression and exploration. 

Another shounen disappointment: The fall of ‘Jujutsu Kaisen’

After 271 weekly Shonen Jump chapters, Gege Akutami's “Jujutsu Kaisen” has reached its conclusion, and with it, a wave of frustration has swept across the shounen manga community. In a genre known for its iconic scenes but lackluster endings, “Jujutsu Kaisen” followed through, leaving fans in disbelief. What should have been a triumphant closing act for one of the most popular series instead fizzled out, leaving us all wondering: How did something so promising end so terribly?