Wednesday, October 09, 2024 — Houston, TX

Review: Victoria Monet dazzles on ‘JAGUAR II: Deluxe’

victoriamonetrcarecords
RCA Records

By Ashley Wang     10/8/24 10:59pm

Rating: ★★★★½

Top Tracks: “On My Mama” & “1900’s”

A year out from the release of her Grammy-winning album “JAGUAR II,” R&B superstar Victoria Monét is back with a deluxe version that features 10 new tracks. “Jaguar II: Deluxe” explores themes of familial and romantic love, self-confidence and ambition, all presented with Monét’s trademark live instrumentation and vocal versatility. 

Standouts from the album’s original 11 songs include the addictive, sleek “On My Mama” (which samples Texas rapper Chalie Boy’s “I Look Good”), the Kaytranada-produced “Alright” and “Hollywood,” a heavenly collaboration with Earth, Wind & Fire. “Jaguar II: Deluxe” smoothly expands on and references the original tracklist without feeling redundant.

“DickAtNight” has a cheeky opener that few artists could get away with without allegations of corniness, but Monét pulls it off with style. Her swooping vocals, backed by swung percussion and twinkling, near-improvisational keyboard accompaniment conjure images of a chandelier-adorned jazz club. 

“Don’t Sleep” featuring Thundercat is a propulsive, groovy track. There’s a tangible spaciousness to the soundscape, which Thundercat complements with a glossy, tongue-in-cheek verse. Given that the chorus feels more like a pre-chorus, the song builds a tension that isn’t ever fully released, though this underlying momentum works in Monét’s favor and reiterates the message of her working tirelessly toward her dreams.

The luxurious trumpets and harmonies of “SOS (Sex on Sight)” featuring Usher make it an undeniable earworm. Usher’s chemistry with Monét is just on the cusp of being convincing — it feels as though the two are singing around each other rather than in tandem — but the song’s visualizer and soothing outro more than make up for it.

Following “2SEXY,” a disarmingly tender and sensual interlude, “1900’s” is pure joy. On this track, Monét samples Anita Baker’s magical “Caught Up in the Rapture” and interpolates Michael Jackson’s “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin.’” There’s also a lyrical nod to Prince’s “1999.” Monét manages all these references while maintaining her own electric sound and sincere lyricism. A minute in, the production cuts out to make space for a staccato, saccharine-sweet vocoder interjection that leaves you craving more.

Monét effortlessly captivates on “Love Is Stronger Than Pride.” While a cover of Sade’s nostalgic, tranquil 1988 single, Monét makes clear here that she aims to pay tribute to rather than replace the original track. Her version is up-tempo and fluorescent, more danceable than meditative. 

With its bright harmonies and honeyed vocals, “Everybody Needs Someone” is heartachingly earnest. Sonically, it echoes “How Does It Make You Feel” from the standard album release and is Monét’s contemporary take on ’70s R&B-soul love ballads. Just when it seems we’ve reached the song’s conclusion, Monét shows off with an outro that contributes a gorgeous harmonic complexity. 

The deluxe album comes to a close with “The Greatest,” a celebration of Monét’s newfound sense of peace and autonomy. The lyrics are simple to the point of feeling impersonal, though this quickly becomes irrelevant once the sunny vocal layering and live instrumentation take center stage. 

Monét evidently approaches her vocal delivery, collaborations and homages with an attention to detail that can only emerge from a decade of working in the music industry. “JAGUAR II: Deluxe” is a cinematic, glimmering tapestry of an album that sounds simultaneously timeless and contemporary, playful yet profoundly sincere.

Review: “Joker: Folie à Deux” has no punchline

It’s hard to understate how big of a cultural moment “Joker” was. It was a rare moment when a film succeeded in nearly every metric a film can. It grossed over a billion dollars, was critically praised and was nominated for 11 Academy Awards, with star Joaquin Phoenix taking home one of the two Oscars the film ended up winning.

Review: “SOPHIE” sends off the titular legend with mixed results

“SOPHIE” is the second album and posthumous album of groundbreaking Scottish producer SOPHIE, who, throughout her releases as a solo artist and producer, predicted and mapped out where pop music could go. SOPHIE’s sound experimented with genre, voice modulation and the sounds of the digital and everyday.