Wednesday, October 09, 2024 — Houston, TX

RUPD updates on recent campus crime

parkinglot-konstantin-savvon-col
Konstantin Savvon / Thresher

By Abigail Chiu     10/8/24 11:35pm

A single person is likely responsible for the rash of recent car burglaries in North and South Lot, according to Rice University Police Department Chief of Police Clemente Rodriguez in an email to the Thresher. The male suspect was identified with security cameras, but their identity could not be determined. No one has been arrested in connection to these burglaries, which occurred on Sept. 21 at 3 a.m. Students received a Rice Crime Alert email Sept. 22 informing them of the break-ins. The North Lot suspect had not been connected to the South Lot burglaries in the email.

Rodriguez said that while the number of thefts has been consistent, seeing so many burglaries on campus at once is uncommon.

“Compared to the previous year, we have not seen an increase in thefts from vehicles, but the alert was sent because five vehicles were broken into at approximately the same time, which is unusual for the campus,” Rodriguez said.

According to Rodriguez, RUPD has increased patrols in parking lots due to the burglaries, especially during late-night hours. 

“[RUPD is] also planning another Night Owl Walk to determine if there is a need for additional lighting throughout campus, including parking areas,” Rodriguez said. 

A Night Owl Walk is a safety check performed by Rice students, staff and faculty. Additionally, Rodriguez encouraged students to be vigilant about their belongings and vehicles.

“Always remember to lock your vehicle,” Rodriguez said. “Hide your valuables if you store any in your vehicle, try to park in well-lit areas, be aware of your surroundings at all times and stay informed of campus alerts.”

Chabad at Rice hosts vigil for Oct. 7 anniversary

Nearly 150 students, staff and faculty gathered at Farnsworth Pavilion for a vigil commemorating the one-year anniversary of the Oct. 7 attack on Israel. Held up by clothespins, pictures paying tribute to killed Israeli people lined the walls of the room.