Wednesday, October 09, 2024 — Houston, TX

Stay engaged as you cast your vote — both locally and nationally

Monday, Oct. 7 was the last day to register to vote in Texas. Now that you’ve (hopefully) taken that step, we encourage you to  research your candidates ahead of early voting, which kicks off Oct. 21. 

While national elections often dominate the headlines, your local elections have equally important consequences, and it’s essential to understand what’s at stake.

Many voters feel disillusioned by the choices on the national stage, between candidates like Kamala Harris or Donald Trump, or voting in a likely red state. But your vote goes farther than you may think.

This year, Houston voters will have the chance to weigh in on several key races and proposals, including the contest for state senator between Molly Cook and Joseph Trahan. 

While state-level offices may not seem as flashy, senators shape policies that influence everything from healthcare access to public education and energy regulation. For instance, the Texas legislature’s stance on Medicaid expansion could determine healthcare availability for millions of Texans. On top of that, Texas’ environmental policies and investments in clean energy could shift dramatically depending on who’s elected.

And it’s not just the Senate race. Positions like state representatives, district judges and more are on the ballot — elections with serious, real-world consequences. The officials elected to these posts make decisions on criminal justice reform, public school funding, infrastructure and more.

Additionally, important proposals will appear on the ballot, including those for flood risk mitigation and improvements to the Houston Independent School District’s infrastructure. Living in Houston, we know just how critical flood prevention is, especially as each hurricane season continues to threaten our city year after year. 

For out-of-state students, it’s equally important to stay engaged. You can still make your voice heard by requesting absentee ballots. Make sure to follow the proper steps: check your registration (visit Vote.org to confirm your registration status in your home state), request your absentee ballot on time (head to nass.org/can-I-vote to find your state’s absentee ballot deadlines and request procedures) and learn about the candidates and measures in your state.

Of course, the national election is still a big deal. Do your homework on Kamala Harris and Donald Trump and whoever else. Make sure you’re choosing a candidate that reflects the future you want for the country.

But remember, voting is about more than national headlines. It’s about shaping your community and standing up for the issues that matter to you. Do your research, stay informed and head to the polls knowing that every vote counts, especially in local elections — where turnout may be low, but the stakes are tremendous.

Editor’s Note: Thresher editorials are collectively written by the members of the Thresher’s editorial board. Current members include Riya Misra, Spring Chenjp, Maria Morkas, Sarah Knowlton, Sammy Baek, Shruti Patankar, Juliana Lightsey, Arman Saxena and Kathleen Ortiz.

Ranking residential college interior design

Your college’s interior design can make you feel like royalty or like you’re stuck in a cheap motel. From the grandeur of Baker’s chandeliers to the eerie skeleton in Hanszen commons, let’s explore the cozy and the uninviting, the aesthetic and the stale of each residential college’s design.

Students should stop supporting Rice SJP

To foster a truly inclusive campus culture, we must consider a paradox of intolerance: a society must be intolerant of intolerance to uphold its foundational values. Rice SJP not only silences opposing voices, but promotes exclusionary rhetoric that undermines principles of inclusion and pluralism.