Wednesday, October 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

Students explore activism and solidarity through art

img-9185-original
Salah said he spearheaded the design for a mural that stood outside Rice SJP’s “liberated zone” last spring. Courtesy Musab Salah

By Angelica Hernandez     10/22/24 11:21pm

While some college students use their voices to protest and call for social change, others opt for a different medium of expression, through painting, sculpture or photography. Some Rice students say activism through art has proven to be a fulfilling avenue of expressing dissent that resounds just as loudly as their voices. 

Some artists advocate for topics relating to their identity. In this case, activism may be integral to their art due to the role of their identity in their lives. Camille Neal-Harris is one such artist, whose wood, plaster and metal sculptures express her beliefs on race and equality. 

“A lot of my pieces have to do with the sky and sun, culture and emotional development,” Neal-Harris, a Will Rice College senior, said. “I think because I am a Black woman, concepts of race, culture and advocating against the systems that cause discrimination are embedded in every piece I make, whether I say it explicitly or not.” 

Others find themselves using art to understand and represent the world. Musab Salah said his multi-media art reflects Palestinian resistance and solidarity across movements.

“I think in absurd terms because the world today — particularly in its political dimensions — often feels absurd,” Salah, a Will Rice junior, said. “I believe young people are increasingly aware of and frustrated by these conditions, and my work aims to create spaces for collective exchange, reflection and expression.”

Many artists find that their artwork becomes informed by politics and activism. Sophia Rohlfsen ’24 said she finds that her photography work indirectly expresses her views and thoughts about needed change. 

“My work is not overtly political, but politics will always inform my artwork,” Rohlfsen said. “I don’t know if my work is ever trying to prove a point. I think I just try to show what I find interesting about a subject.” 

The intersection of activism and art also allows students to get involved in the greater student community. Salah had one such experience through an installation at Rice Students for Justice in Palestine’s “liberated zone,” set up last spring. 

“Last semester, some of my peers and I conceptualized this installation as a collective project,” Salah said. “We constructed a mural framework that allowed community members to paint freely within the designated space on large wooden panels. This piece took on additional significance in response to administrative pushback against student protests — organizing a protest was restricted due to censorship, and students were closely monitored.”

According to Salah, artistic spaces also foster an environment that allows for creativity and activism to collide.

“I regularly seek input from my friends and classmates on the visuals I produce,” Salah said. “Through this collaborative process, art becomes a medium of engagement, encouraging others to reflect on their roles in broader social issues.”

According to Salah, the diverse environment at Rice allows him to challenge conventional expression through a variety of mediums.

“On a campus as multifaceted as ours, art has the power to reshape how we exchange ideas and create new forms of cultural expression,” Salah said. “While words are important, visual forms — whether posters, murals or installations — offer a tactile, immediate way to engage with the world.”

Review: It’s charli baby: Charli xcx + Troye Sivan Sweat Tour

I might say something stupid: BRAT by Charli xcx is one of contemporary music's most significant pop phenomena. That may seem like a hyperbolic statement, given how vast the world of Western pop music is, but it becomes less ridiculous when looking at the chart success, memes, dances and presidential campaign strategies inspired by the 2024 electronic pop album. The sheer weight of the album in the pop music landscape is emphasized by the excellent, club-inspired “Sweat Tour” accompanying the album.

Review: “We Live in Time” Reinvents Romantic Dramas

There’s nothing quite like emotionally attaching yourself to vivid characters that provide an escape from your imperfect (and love-forsaken) reality. So, for all of the swooners and fans of John Green’s “The Fault in Our Stars,” this film is for you.